Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
About Air Filters; Which Vent Do I Need to Change Filter?

Posted by chueh (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 5, 10 at 20:54

I am confused about which vent, register, or in-take do I need to change filters. I remember seeing people changing filters on the air-out and in-take registers, while the A/C or heater were not installed with the filters. A/C technicians always just change the filter at the big unit in the attic. Is it just sufficient to change the filter in the attic?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: About Air Filters; Which Vent Do I Need to Change Filter?

It depends on how the system is set up. Either you will have one main filter at the unit in the attic, or you have filters at the actual return air grilles (or "intakes"). If the technician is changing the filter at the unit, then there is no need for filters at the air grilles in the hallway, bedrooms, etc.

Hope this helps.

o

Thank you for your answer. I asked the question, because my thermostat still indicates "change filter" after I changed the one in the attic.

o

The thermostat displays this message based on runtime simply as a reminder. So you can ignore it if you've changed the filter. Only exception I can think of is Carrier's Infinity system and control (thermostat), which reports when you need to change the filter based on internal logic and static pressure/pressure drop readings.

o

There's likely a button or procedure on the thermostat to reset the timer when the filter is changed. Most thermostats that operate the change indicator by blower run-time also have an adjustment for how many accumulated hours for triggering it. Check your thermostat's instruction manual for details.

o

Thank you for your answer. I asked the question, because my thermostat still indicates "change filter" after I changed the one in the attic.

o

There's no way for the thermostat to know that you've gone into your attic and changed a filter unless it operates off some sort of sensor as RyanHughes mentioned above. Assuming the indicator is a simple timer that counts the accumulated blower run-time ... you have to to press a button or something to reset/restart the timing when you change the filter. My thermostat, for example, has a designated button labeled "Reset Filter."

o

I see. thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here