Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bradds

Are the tam 8 and tam 7 trane air handlers any good?

BradDS
11 years ago

I've been researching things and I was recently planning on getting a Trane XB14 with a TAM 7 Air Handler. The issue is that now I am reading online some complaints about the TAM 7 leaking from the door and that Trane won't do a thing to fix the issue. Is the Tam 8 any better in terms of no leaks and better quality? Also, how much more would it cost for it? For weeks we were planning on getting the XB14 with the Tam 7 but now I think we may be changing our minds...

What is the absolute best trane air handler to buy? In other words, what is the best air handler in terms of quality and the air handler that has the least issues?

We've been getting estimates from contractors and it would be pointless to install such an expensive system in our home and have issues from day one. I thought that Trane was the best you could buy but I guess the reviews online are proving that much wrong...

Comments (15)

• BradDS
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I guess the complaints are from those who are expecting a completely sealed system for a new system purchase? Our current unit is a 1998 York so it's pretty old. I think it's a 12 Seer but I'm not sure. Anyway, I guess I'll talk with some contractors about pricing differences and the benefits between the two.

• dave8367
    10 years ago

I have been servicing ac, heating and refrigeration equipment since

1. I wouldn't put a new Trane system or the Tam air handler in my h
      House. The tam unit is one big problem. The had issues with pump down problems due to the electronic expansion valve. If you get a unit with old rev board you need to update it. They leak air something fierce and Trane states it to keep the air clean. BULL. Had a new install today when they turned on the breaker factory wire was pinched under the power control board. No way that they run tested it in the factory or they would have found it. The outdoor heat pumps with electronic valves on have problems with the suction line transducers not working right and locking out the unit. These are just some of the issues. Best bang for you buck got with carrier infinity. I could go on and on about issues with Trane units. If you want any more info feel free to contact me. 443 271 9861.
  • p_hawes
    8 years ago

I recently had an American Standard/Trane TAM7 Air Handler installed. One edge
    of the plastic front panel on my air handler leaks a noticeable amount of air. The leak is between the fan and the coils. The air is thus blowing out, but is unconditioned.
    The installer tells me that this is normal. That does not seem correct.
    We paid to have all duct leaks sealed and now the air handler leaks. Is
    this a common problem with these units?

• dovetonsils
    8 years ago

p_hawes,

You will get a much better response to your question if you start your own thread. Nobody likes to respond to a new question asked in a several year old thread.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/hvac/

• John Theobald
    3 years ago

I have a TAM 9 platinum, it's a year old, the coils are severally corroded and condensation is is coming down the interior of the cabinet and shorting out electronics and accuclean air filter. I had a TAM 7 in a previous house, no issues. I would advise against any new TAM unit.

• sktn77a
    3 years ago

I suspect the issue isn't inherent to the TAM9 but rather a system issue. Sounds like it needs to be checked out (refrigerant charge, airflow, etc).

• mike_home
    3 years ago

What you are describing is an installation problem. Has the installer addressed the problem?

• John Theobald
    3 years ago

Yes I have had the installer out several times, they are going to replace the coil but are perplexed by the water issue and are taking the approach of wait and see. I do have a UV light which may degrade the epoxy but don't believe that it would cause the corrosion. Regarding the water I believe the fan is blowing the water thru the inverted coils, I believe the inlet to the sealed air handler closet is to small causing the motor to increase rpm above a properly ported closet. I am calling American Standard today as I can see these issues persisting after the coil replacement.

• PRO
    Austin Air Companie
    3 years ago

I wonder if Tiger likes Trane / American Standard stories as much as he likes Goodman stories?

Once upon a time, in a land far, far away..... LOL.

I service the Katy, Texas area.

• John Theobald
    3 years ago

Warning Train did have a bad batch of coils, they have since fixed the problem, my unit was made in 2018 and will have the new coils installed next week. They are sending a field service technician to evaluate the install and determine the root cause of water pooling. Hey I had a goodman when I lived in Houston, rock solid, never had an issue... I think everyone has a horror story or two with HVAC install or equipment, par for the course...

• PRO
    Austin Air Companie
    3 years ago

Warning Train did have a bad batch of coils, they have since fixed the problem, my unit was made in 2018

Sure they did. Used the same rhetoric back in the day when I worked for American Standard dealer.

Over 26 years experience in HVAC. You'll pardon me if I don't believe you?

I am not in the bed of any single one HVAC manufacturer. There is no such thing as a perfect air conditioner with no problems. They all have their issues. They all will continue to have their issues.

If someone says: "We had some problems with a batch of coils and we fixed it. They are selling you." C'mon man. There isn't a manufacturer that doesn't have problems with evap coils. 20 years ago we dealt with the same thing. After 20 years they still haven't fixed it? I am older and wiser now. Today they call this 'ego'. Look up: wisdom.

I only chimed in because Trane / American standard products are often proclaimed to be the best on this board, probably others as well.

I have my stories, if you want you can come along for the ride...

• John Theobald
    3 years ago

Yes I absolutely agree with you nothing is perfect, with any HVAC system, or with any house hold appliance as a matter of fact. I have had 3 installations in 10 years, one was so bad and wouldn't pass code that I forced the installer to remove and reimburse me, that's what brought me to American Standard, the first unit was TAM 7 and I had no problems, sold that house and moved into my current house so when it came time I used the same installer and upgraded to the TAM 9. Little did I know that quite a bit of change happened in the company and the product, goes to show you that you always need to do your homework regardless as things change over time. If I had to do it again I would most likely go with Carrier but I would need to do my homework. The coils are bad, there is galvanic corrosion everywhere due to the use of dissimilar metals, I know this for a fact as I worked in the offshore oil and gas businesses for over 20 years designing and manufacturing the electrical, optical and hydraulic connection systems and have seen my fair share just as I sure you have seen yours. I can only imagine what you have seen thru the years and I'm sure many left you scratching your head and saying what the... I know I see it all the time and it baffles me too...

• Dejan Dokic
    last year

My brother and good friend both told me TAM7 that I HE sold me is garbage. 4 years old and replaced main and daughter boards AND they believe the bad board burned up the compressor. No way to prove it but I wouldn't be surprised... the scarier part is that when I asked them what mfg they would buy themselves they had no answer and just say that everyone is just producing garbage these days.

• PRO
    Austin Air Companie
    last year

Trane is really good in the marketing dept. / not to mention they have a slew of dealers that have been baptized in Trane fanboyism. Just so you understand fanboyism is something of a 'continued' belief in a product regardless how many issues or problems it has, the cost of such product and so on.

That said Carrier has their problems as well, so does Lennox as well as any other manufacturer. You will always need a good HVAC repair man, don't kid yourself.

Time in HVAC doesn't stand still and due to upcoming R410a phaseout and eventual ban it's going to matter less and less the name on the side of the box.

If you want another good / bad story how this refrigerant debacle came about I made a video about it a year ago...

I've been doing this for 28 years, my opinion is based on doing, seeing etc.

If you want to believe something different, go ahead. You have that right however, you won't convince me. ;-)

I service the Katy, Texas area.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022