Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting good price on heat pump

Posted by Gatorfan818 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 26, 12 at 20:50

I wanted to improve the efficiency of my older Goodman units. And get the best price I could. I had 7 HVAC companies come out (big outfits and 1 man crews) with estimates. The prices floored me...some were over $10,000. Which led me to Craigslist.
I received many responses to my ad, and decided on a licensed contractor with great references. He charged $1600 to install 2 small heat pumps. It took 2 people about 11 hours to install, so I believe I paid a very fair wage. I got the equipment at his cost. I saved over $3000 by doing my homework.
Be very careful when hiring a company...there is a greed factor. My contractor actually told me that to some, having a license in HVAC is a license to steal. Overcharging for adding refrigerant (costs them $11 a lb., some charge $60-80 per pound). Most important thing is to check references and make sure they are licensed. Don't let these guys take extra hard-earned money from you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting good price on heat pump

Did you get a labor Warranty? If you need a service call some frigid winter evening, will he come?

o

You are right. There alot of hvac companies and even small 1/2 operations that want to make a few thousand dollars profit per job for like 10 hours of work! If you shop around though, you can find licensed contractors that are much more reasonable.
Once you find a reasonable priced licensed contractor who does quality work and is knowledable, save their number and refer them to family and friends.

o

That was a GREAT price, and with the price of refridgerant going up to $600 per drum, i think my husband cahrges $25 per pound to make it fair, but you are right some charge $70-98 per pound I've seen. Some people think its great to go with big name companies and I am a firm believer that you get a better deal from a smaller company bc as I have said before, they want to please you so that you refer them to others and that you are a repeat customer. We have our own small business so I know how it goes! Glad you didn't get ripped off. I hate to see when people pay 6-8000 for a new unit etc etc.

o

I have a labor warranty for one year, per SC law. Some outfits were giving me the one year free, but quoted $325 value for something they are required to do for free...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here