Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bohica_gw

Trave xv95 with XR13

bohica
10 years ago

Hey I got a quote for the unit below for around 6K... I am looking at swapping the Thermostat for something else with internet. Any suggestions? Also is the quote price a decent price? 2700 SQ home 2 story brick in MI

XV95 Furnace 100,000 btu 95% 2 stage variable speed with ECM motor
Model: TUH2C100A9V4VB
XR13 Condenser 13 seer 4 ton
Model: 4TTR3048D10000C
VL Cased Coil 13 seer 4 ton
Model: 4FXCB048AC3CAA
Digital Programmable Thermostat 5/2
Model: TCONT602
Media filter 20x25
Model: TFM

This post was edited by bohica on Fri, Sep 27, 13 at 23:26

Comments (11)

• ryanhughes
    10 years ago

Was a load calculation (Manual J) done to determine proper sizing? Both a/c and furnace appear oversized. If not, you need to bring this up with the dealer. Designing based on the previous size/selection of equipment is not acceptable; nor is guessing. If you are investing in comfort and efficiency, you do not want to move forward without a proper load calculation to dictate sizing. If you have the results of the load calculation, please post them.

And the quoted price is certainly reasonable for the equipment you are looking at. Installation quality is paramount.

This post was edited by ryanhughes on Fri, Sep 27, 13 at 22:56

• bohica
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No manual J I got 3 quotes and no one talked about it. Called 2 other places and they do not do manual J on quotes. I'm going to press a Manual J have them scheduled for install on Monday.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

bohica

Like Ryan, I also question the sizing both AC and furnace. Just for info, that furnace is available in an 80 KBTU size with 4 ton rated blower.

How is your home's insulation properties? What size AC and furnace are you replacing? Any hot/cold areas in your home?

I would ask quoting dealer for the AHRI matching number. I could not find one with that evap coil. This is important to know.

As to thermostats, I would recommend HW VP IAQ Prestige with Internet capability.

Post back.

IMO

Here is a link that might be useful: Honeywell Thermostats

• bohica
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Home is was built in 93 2 story brick all 4 sides. Plus a third floor with 700 sq unfinished Attic upstairs insulation is blocked by sub floor
    Replacing 4 ton a/c poorly installed 7 years ago compressor shorted to ground with the original coil and 80% 4 ton 100kbtu
    Main bedroom cold in winter hot in summer furthest away from unit.
    1200 sqft finished basement with 3 vents no returns.
    I attached the ahri I got from trane while checking out the quote
    Thanks for taking time to respond.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

You need a load calculation. I can't see the reason going up in size on the furnace.

Yes that is a match. It appears dealer has quoted a third party coil. I would insist on a matching Trane evap coil.

5092052 Active Coil (Mix-Match) TRANE TRANE 4TTR3048D1 TRANE U.S. INC. 4FX*(B,C,D)048AC3 1600 *UH2C100A9V4 47000 11.00 13.00 1 RCU-A-CB 437

IMO

• bohica
    Original Author
    10 years ago

When I asked trane about the evap coil they stated it is a trane coil. Website does not mention coil model # that's why I called.
    Thanks I will demand a manual J

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

AHRI shows that coil as a mixmatch. I would followup with Trane dealer on this issue.

IMO

• bohica
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dealer wants to charge $400 for a Manual J and to agree I have to use them for the install
    Thoughts?

• ryanhughes
    10 years ago

How do they know the optimum equipment size/selection for your home if they do not do one? Unfortunately it is common practice for many companies to not do one on routine change outs of the existing system kept the occupants comfortable to their standards, but the fact of the matter is that MANY systems are oversized and under-ducted. This affects efficiency, capacity, and overall longevity of the equipment. $400 seems like a reasonable cost to do the Manual J if they are going to take the effort to collect and enter all of the data accurately so that the results reflect your home's true heating/cooling load. Will they not credit this fee toward the total cost of the installation? In my opinion that is fair for all parties involved if you have committed to having them do the work (and what many good contractors would do). It is really part of the job.

This is only a guess and means nothing without doing the actual calculation, but I would think a 3-3.5 ton air conditioner and 80k furnace (max) would heat and cool your home with no issue at design conditions -- and keep you more comfortable in the summer time with better humidity removal. To that note, in doing the calculation they will have to know your indoor design temperature (what temperature you expect to *maintain* at your particular area's outdoor design temps), or at least this should be discussed. The typical/standard indoor design conditions used are 75 degrees/50% relative humidity..

The 4FXC is a Trane product -- a cooling-only cased aluminum evaporator coil. I can't see why it would be listed as a mix-match... that is interesting.

This post was edited by ryanhughes on Sat, Sep 28, 13 at 20:02

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

That's interesting about the coil selection. Even with the XV95 var speed furnace, it only yields 13 SEER and 11 EER, very mediocre. I would ask dealer for a better coil selection that has improved numbers with a minimum 14 SEER.

I think the $400 charge is absurd. I would ask that the charge be waived if you proceed with the install using that dealer.

I would want a true two stage thermostat as well where staging is based on demand not a timer on control board.

IMO

• bohica
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Disregard

This post was edited by bohica on Tue, Oct 8, 13 at 15:32

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia