Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tikilyn

AC unit won't stop leaking!

tikilyn
12 years ago

The unit is a york, was installed in 2004 and was installed in a closet on the second floor of my house. In 2008 we had a major leak that ruined the garage ceiling. It was a big mess and we used our insurance to cover the repairs. Now it's 2011 and it's leaking again and it ruin my garage ceiling again! We have our unit cleaned once a year.

I called out an ac repair man, he said the unit wasn't level and the platform had to be rebuilt so the unit will sit level. The unit was leaking a small amount of water for sometime and rotted the right hand front side of the platform and was making the water drain away from the drain line. So I had them come in take out the unit build a new platform and clean the unit (it was time for the cleaning). So they get it all done and not even 24 hrs later the unit is leaking again. The repair man came back yesterday reworked the drain pipes and that didn't work. He said the unit was in good shape and he can't figure out why it's still leaking.

Can anyone give suggestions what could be happening? I'm so frustrated I just want to cry. I hate this house!

Comments (22)

• willtv
    12 years ago

I don't know if this will fix your problem but here goes.
    We have an air handler in the attic of our house that leaked condensate onto the ceiling of one of the upstairs bedrooms. We've lived in the house for 23 years and never had this prob;lem.
    It turns out that the condensate line became clogged. The water had nowhere to go so it backed up into the unit and leaked onto the ceiling.
    Check to see if your drain line is clogged. If so snake it out.
    Good luck.

• tikilyn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The repair guy said all the lines were clear. My unit only has one drain pipe and the second opening has a red plug. He opened the red plug and you would think the water would drain out of it. It was almost like the water was getting sucked towards the side of the unit and not into the drain pipe.

• willtv
    12 years ago

Here's what I'd try.
    I'd disconnect the condensate hose from the unit and see if water is exiting the unit.
    If it is, the problem has to be in the condensate line.
    If not, the problem lies in the unit.

• tikilyn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

fluffybunnysui - the unit sits upright on a wood platform in a closet. The unit only has one drain tube exiting the unit into the plumbing. We also live in a high humidity area.

Willtv - I'm thinking it might be the unit itself because the line is clean. Some water does drain out but not enough. Like when the unit shuts off some water will drain out of the unit via the drain pipe but there is so much water that it overflows into the return vent area.

Thanks

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"It turns out that the condensate line became clogged. The water had nowhere to go so it backed up into the unit and leaked onto the ceiling. "

Any system installed so that a backup of the main condensate line could cause damage is supposed to have a backup pan to catch the condensate.

The backup should have a separate drain line, but sometimes a float switch in the pan is used to turn off the AC if water enters the pan.

Without a drain line, removing the water is left as an exercise for the owner and technician.

• heatseeker
    12 years ago

wow thats i can't beleive he rebuilt the whole platform and it was just a clogged line. I hope you got your money back.

• tikilyn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The line was never clogged! We poured a ton of water in it and drained out without any back up. It just seems like the unit is over producing water and it's not going into the drain line at all even though it's clean and open, it's tilted in the right direction so the water will go down.

The platform had to be rebuilt. The first one was made out of particle/chip board and not solid plywood. It got wet and started to rot and made the unit lean to the right away from the drain pipe. But now the unit is still leaking.

I might just throw in the towel and buy a new unit.

• willtv
    12 years ago

tikilyn. Just for laughs and if it's possible, try snaking the unit. When my back-up happened in addition to snaking the line. I also adapted the hose from my shop-vac and suctioned the line also. I'd try this before I threw in the towel.

brickeyee, My units were installed, believe it or not, in the 60's. So no drip pan and in fact, before I installed them, no returns either.

• fluffybunnysui
    12 years ago

It's not the drain.... it's the coil itself. Im betting you have a York FRP or a FFP series airhandler. You need to look at the coil itself. These coils have very tight spacing on the fins and even though it might not look dirty, it probably is. Look up inside the coil from the bottom and see how dirty it is. Watch it for a while and see where its leaking from. I bet it's from the back inside somewhere. If it is leaking, then all you need is a good coil cleaning. Let me know what the inside units model & serial number is.

Hope this helps

• tikilyn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I took some pictures. The unit had just turned back on so not as much water was leaking yet.

I opened the second drain whole and not water was coming out. When I stuck my finger inside I felt the air blowing to the left. You can also see the open space to the left filling up with water.

you can see water dripping.

see the whole next to the red plug. That is filling up with water.

y'all are such a great help! Thank you

• fluffybunnysui
    12 years ago

I pulled up your unit.

Like i said before...1st thing i would do is wash the coil. Take the pan off the coil as well as the metal deflector at the top of the coil. Make sure you can see all the way threw it, that the pan is clean inside and out. Of course make sure you dont have any cracks in the pan as well as having a "Pee" trap on the drain line.

Hope this helps

• tikilyn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

fluffybunnysui is there anyway you can enlarge that? I can't make out the info,it's to small. LOL Thank you so much for your help. Looking back at the coil pictures it does still look dirty. My repair guy is coming back out on Saturday and I'll show him the pictures I took.

Thanks again

• fluffybunnysui
    12 years ago

Here is the best i can do...

Serial Number: Model Number: Description: Unit Status:
    XENS121291 F2RP042H06 3.5T 21H FANCOIL R CHAMPGN Active
    Please click the Unit Serial Number to see Unit Details!

Distribution Channel Status: Shipped to Distributor
    Latest Date On Record: 06/10/04
    The Unit is not registered with an Install Date. Would you like to register the Unit now?
    WARRANTY CENTER > Warranty Verification > Standard Warranty Coverage
    Coverage Type: Terms: Expiration Date:
    Labor: 030 Days 07/10/04
    Parts: 060 Months 06/10/09

WARRANTY CENTER > Unit Tracking Data > Serial Number Detail
    Unit Serial Number XENS121291
    Status Active Status Date
    Product ID/Style F2RP042H06 Description 3.5T 21H FANCOIL R CHAMPGN
    Date Produced 05/11/04 Location 67
    Shift 1 Lot M188150
    Customer Information
    Customer 0010015375 Name JOHNSON SUPPLY
    Date Shipped 06/10/04 Shipper Nbr 01530746
    Invoice/Sales Order Nbr 04I083032
    Dealer Information
    Dealer Name
    Date Sold Date Reported
    Consumer Information
    Consumer Date Registered
    Date Installed Owner Ind
    Recall Date
    Dealer Dealer Name

[Warranty Verification ]
    [Locations ]

Back

• heatseeker
    12 years ago

there should be a vent to releive the negative pressure and prevent suction inside unit. Also clean evap pan and add p-trap should fix problem.

• energy_rater_la
    12 years ago

what does the top of the closet look like?
    is it open to the attic or closed off?
    can you post pics of that?

best of luck.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

That is a filthy evaporator.

• heatseeker
    12 years ago

that evap is pretty clean in comparison to most i look at,.

• tikilyn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm really disappointed with the cleaning because it was cleaned last saturday. I don't think it should be this dirty in a week. So I'm going to ask him to clean it again. Hope these pictures help. I also added a picture of the p traps. I don't know if the plumber is going to leave it like this.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

Is there a filter in the return duct?

• kdwarren50
    8 years ago

Hi in my apt. I have a combo ac/heater it leaks water on carpet name on unit is General Electric online it is in front wall kinda like hotel ac unit. They came cleaned it out an now 3 days later carpet is soaked under unit why?

• Michele Bump
    5 years ago

I saw your photo,it's looks as if you have the same set up as I.Leaks like crazy! I have 5 gallon buckets sitting in the vent box which I vacuum out almost daily.No one can figure it out.I too live in a humid climate.Installed by Freedom Air.My coils look clean,a bit dirty at the tee-pee top,where I couldn't reach.This unit cost about 5000 grand 5 years ago.Mystery and frustrating.No water damage because if the buckets.Just not right,HELP!