Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
This is next to my AC in attic... what is it?

Posted by gentleman-farmer (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 19:59

Any ideas?

I had an AC guy come in to give me a quote to replace my unit and he asked what this was. I have no idea lol.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: This is next to my AC in attic... what is it?

Appears to be a transformer for your door bell. Seriously, the guy doesn't know what is it?

o

I concur, however, I would move it from the attic to perhaps next to your electrical panel as this might be a potential fire hazard.

SR

o

the electrical box is "relatively" close though, albeit outside the house.

The AC guy wasnt sure what it was, he said maybe it's part of a fire alarm or something lol.

o

If you have fire alarm, it should all be incased in a panel with battery back-up. That is definitely the door-bell. easy test is to unhook 1 one the wires and go try the door bell. Everyone of those I ever saw was installed higher in the joists. A lot of times right by the attic light switch

o

Is that a telephone line? In the old days, a transformer was used to power the extra wires in order to turn on the light in your Princess phone.

o

" A lot of times right by the attic light switch"

The attic light switch is relatively close.

That's probably what it is it seems...

Thanks all.

o

In every two story home I've lived in - with the outside doors on the first floor and the location of the doorbell on the first floor - the transformer was tucked somewhere in the basement rafters.

Presumably to make the run to the door switches and to the doorbell easier. Again, on a two story home, putting the transformer in the attic would necessitate running hookup wire to the basement from the attic to the basement.

Just out of curiosity, OP, is your home a single story home?

YMMV

This post was edited by saltidawg on Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 10:33

o

single story

o

"single story"

I figured. Explains an attic location.

Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here