Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dangarlepp

need new HVAC system

Dangarlepp
12 years ago

Hi all, I'm trying to learn about my HVAC system so please bear with me. First, I live in central Fl, (Crystal River).

My house has the original Trane heat pump system from 1986. It says min 26amp, max 40 amp which I think means 2 ton. It works just fine, BUT my insurance co wants to drop me because the system is so old. The air handler is in the attic.

1800 sq ft, 12 vents, 2 returns, 1 floor.

I was looking at the Trane XL20i and 2/4 tee air handler.

Is there any part of this I can do myself?

Thanks for any help, Dan

Model BWR736E100AU is the original unit outside

Comments (4)

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

Danger

It's unlikely you have have a two ton system. Based on the mdl number of existing condenser, this appears to be a three ton system.

Any issues of heating and cooling your home comfortably with old system?

Not clear about your question "is there any part of this I can do for myself"? The answer is no unless you are an experienced and licensed HVAC pro.

Unless you just want to pay more money for marginal improvement in both comfort and operating cost, I would stick to a high eff single stage HP with var spd air handler as opposed to the two stg XL20i mdl.

there are three equally important components-quality HVAC, the install by dealer, and probably the most overlooked and disregarded is the ductwork system.

these are my minimum specs for a new HP system. both outside and inside units should be replaced to have a properly matched system.

15 SEER, 12.5+ EER, 9 HSPF
    best matching VS air handler
    full BTUs in both cooling and heating for your rated size
    R-410a refrigerant(same as Puron)
    scroll compressor preferred
    electronic demand defrost preferred
    thermostat with "dehumidify on demand" feature
    staged backup heat strips
    new and correctly sized refrigerant lineset
    10 yr warranty compressor and parts

you want a thorough inspection of your ductwork system. size, overall condition, supply and return lines, insulation qualities, leak test, etc.

any hot/cold spot issues in your home should be addressed.

I would only use authorized dealers for the various brands that provide quotes. see mfg websites.

I would look at Trane/AmStd,Rheem/Rudd,Carrier/Bryant.

I would not purchase a new HP system that did not have electronic demand defrost.

IMO

• heatseeker
    12 years ago

replace it, if your insurance will be canceled why take the chance. No you can't do your own install if you don't know how to do it. or if you don't have a license.

• SkyHeating
    12 years ago

Tiger dunes, why do you recomend only single stage yet you recomend dehumidify on demand? I recommend two stage equipment for better dehumidification and if the customer is looking at Trane there is not a big price difference between an XL15i and an XL16i two stage, there is only a signifigant price jump to the XL20i which I personally beleive is the best system and is so far the system that my customers have been happiest with.

To the OP you do have a 3 ton system currently and the XL20i will only work with a 4TEE air handler or a TAM7 air handler.

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

It is disappointing that OP has not responded.

Now for SkyHeating

I am sure you know that you do not need two stage condensers to have the dehumidify on demand feature. You will need a var speed air handler/furnace and the correct thermostat like HW VP IAQ.

I think a homeowner has to weigh the cost difference of a high eff HP or AC sgl stg condenser versus a two stg model.

The difference in operating cost and comfort is marginal.

Then there is the issue with Trane on performance/eff numbers of some of their systems including their pricey cost of XL16i and XL201 condensers. Trane can be very proud of these mdls from the purchase price that dealer's charge.

BTW, not intending to bash Trane or sister company AmStd. I have Trane. It is solidly made compared to a lot of the junk on the market. They are behind the curve in the marketplace compared to Carrier.

IMO