Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will hack job on duct work make a difference?

Posted by dixieman (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 30, 12 at 18:43

I was vacuuming out the newly installed duct work - I couldn't believe that I was pulling out 4" pieces of hardwood floor and bits of trim, in addition to the sawdust that I was expecting. Anyway, after removing one of the wooden register covers, I saw that one of our ducts looked really hacked up - and I wondered if that's going to make a difference for heat loss, efficiency, etc. There are gaps where it doesn't even come up to the subfloor. This is one of 3 ducts put into a 22'x12' room addition (over insulated, enclosed crawl space). There's a furnace located in the crawl space and a heat pump outside. The furnace/heat pump only supply this room.

From September 27, 2012

From September 27, 2012

From September 27, 2012

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will hack job on duct work make a difference?

Bring them back and have them fix it. It doesn't look that great.

If you want an easy repair, use mastic or high quality duct tape to seal the duct.

o

If the crawlspace is conditioned/insulated, it isn't a big hit to efficiency. But I would think they would come back and clean it up a bit...

o

Are you kidding me !!!! Did they do this for FREE? If not get them back out and as OP said make them fix it .. I'm no expert ..but there has to be some blow by meaning some of the heat generated is going some where else other then where it should. Stuff like this make me fume ... some, not all contractors just take your money and run .. get them BACK and have them do it right ... I would think the sheet metal should at least come as close to the upper floor as possible.

Sorry about rant but this is just not right!

o

if this is the quality of work they do..don't
expect much better if they return to seal.
they will use materials that may stick for
a while..but ultimately will fail.
duct tapes,metal tapes, asphalt backed tapes will not
adhere to both metal & plywood.

I'd use hardcast brand mastic tape #1402
to seal from metal box to floor. keep
mastic tape inside of area covered by suppy
grill cover. all surfaces should be clean
& dry.

seal all supply boxes, check inside return for
leakss

best of luck.

o

Because they did not use 4 nails on the boot it twisted..Granted if they used four nails the boot would still be snug to the sub floor however because of the crapy cuts by the floor co.. and it looks like the floor guy cut the floor boot and or made it worse. heating guy not enough nails floor guy bad cutting, and the third guy for not cleaning the vents

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here