Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A/C Condensate Line?

Posted by CBR549 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 11, 12 at 18:41

When I bought this house new... the A/C unit and condensate line were right in the center of my full basement with no drain. Over the years I've just hooked up a hose and let it drain outside and I might add that it produces a lot of water. I am now wanting to add rooms in my basement. I've considered several options...Run a PVC drain line around the wall of the basement...put in a sump pump, run it overhead and use the water for garden watering... even drilling a hole through the concrete floor and just let it drain. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A/C Condensate Line?

Sump pump or condensate pump?

o

Are you sure there is not a drain underneath the AC unit?

o

Condensate pump and outside.

It can be a little hard on plants though.

It is cold distilled water.

While the overall grass around my line is greener, there is a small 2-3 inch spot the water drips directly onto the ground with nothing growing.

o

You can likely get a Lil Tykes pump and a bunch of tygon tubing for under $100.

o

If you are finishing the space, be sure to add a safety cutoff so if the pump fails, the unit shuts off

o

"safety cutoff"

AKA 'float switch.'

o

brickeyee,

I know the on/off of the pump is controlled by the float switch.

Is the safety cutoff also controlled by the float switch? How does that work?

TIA

o

Float switches are available to mount in the condensate drain pan in the air handler to shut the system down.

The switch clamps to the edge of the pan and the small square float hangs over into the pan.

If the float rises it shuts down the whole system.

An example is below. There are many others.

I do not like the ones with the float on an arm.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grainger Condensation Pan Switch

o

Thanks. (I thought you were talking about the float switch in the condensate pump assembly.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here