Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
totsie_gw

Second opinion after install

Totsie
11 years ago

Is it possible to hire a tech from another company to go over a newly installed system ?

Comments (6)

• energy_rater_la
    11 years ago

possible..yes.
    most hvac company owners in local areas
    know each other, so that you had your
    install checked out by someone else
    may not remain unknown.
    would that be a problem for you?
    you may want to get a company that installs
    the same brand..just to make sure that they
    know the equipment.

what is wrong that you can't call back
    installing company?

best of luck.

• Totsie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I believe the the 4 installers to be 4 fresh out of high school- very friendly young men-None of them understood the fact that if you changed the coil or condenser or heater that really affected the heater(really) not one of them knew what the differences was between 3/4 3/8 or 7/8 copper line they were using referred to as n
    small-meduim-large (really)but they did NOT know what size ...one guy was setting the Infinity thermostat up(supposedly the Nate Tech -well Nothing is set up not even date and time-I looked under equipment installed mode says 1stage Ac ...they ran new returns and 1 new supply duct...supply duct wraps up and lies across the side of the unit- new unit vertical install..that doesn't seem right to me??t..after statements by the installers made me feel they were just doing the manual labor and the tech? was the expert? salesperson/regional mgr for this company actually ended up in the attic helping them "finish" up after 2nd day ..maybe just me but I was expecting was a expert installation for the $ I paid and to have the new system and thermostat to perform at proper settings..thanks for reading and any advice would be appreciated ..

• mike_home
    11 years ago

Call the owner of the company and express your concerns about the installation. Ask him to send his most senior tech if he is not willing to come to your house.

• Totsie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I believe the the 4 installers to be 4 fresh out of high school- very friendly young men-None of them understood the fact that if you changed the coil or condenser or heater that can affected the whole seer/ eer ratings(really) i say this because they brought the wrong coil ( I checked the numbers when equipment arrived) which i asked for the AHRI number ..they never heard of that...I had to call in and speak to someone at the company-after 3 hours they finally came up with one (look at my other post under Alu/Tin coil)not one of them knew what the differences was between 3/4 3/8 or 7/8 copper line they were using referred to as.
    small-meduim-large (really)but they did NOT know what size ...one guy was setting the Infinity thermostat up(supposedly the Nate Tech -well Nothing is set up not even date and time-I looked under equipment
    installed mode says 1stage Ac (it's a Carrier 17 which as I understand 2 stage)...they ran new returns and 1 new supply duct...supply duct wraps up and lies across the side of the unit- new unit vertical install..that doesn't seem right to me??t..after statements by the installers made me feel they were just doing the manual labor and the tech? was the expert? salesperson/regional mgr for this company actually

ended up in the attic helping them "finish" up after 2nd day ..so i assume there is some amount of settings or testing that needs to be done and after the lack of what i would consider basic it has left me questioning the whole install..maybe just me but I was expecting was a expert installation for the $ I paid and to have the new system and thermostat to perform at proper settings..thanks for reading and any advice would be appreciated ..

• Totsie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry think it posted twice ...

• cindywhitall
    11 years ago

I've been complaining and the only I thing that was wrong with my install was my thermostat! How they can mess up such a simple thing is beyond me. I would not feel the least bit funny about calling and asking to speak to a supervisor or the owner depending on the company. You have legitimate concerns. They should certainly be advised if the installs are being messed up. No point in paying $ to have it checked at this point. Just be sure to be there and make them go over all of it, and ask questions. Then, if you aren't satisfied call another company. You can suggest to them that you may call another company due to your concerns and see if they will agree to pay for the visit if errors are discovered. That might encourage them to be more thorough when they come out and maybe you will be satisfied enough to NOT call another company. Good luck and I totally agree you need to get someone on this.

Didn't occur to me to check the coil number....worth a look I guess. Mine SHOULD be ok because it is subject to inspection due to a program I went through for rebates. If they installed different equip they'd have a problem.

It's sad when plain folks like you and me can figure out a stat is done wrong, and the so-called experts couldn't put it in right.