Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jay_zee_gw

Rheem to replace 25yr old system

Jay_Zee
12 years ago

Hello,

I live in a 2000sf one story house near Sacramento CA. It has the original (25yrs) 3 ton Lennox split system.

I'm looking to replace this with a Rheem system-

A/C is RARL-036JEZ

Coil is ADP RE47636E210

Furnace has 2 options-

RGPE-07NBRQR (4ton) or RGRM-09NZAJS (5ton)

Stat is Emerson 1F95EZ0671

Question - Is the 5 ton an overkill for my application? The 4 ton is only $800 cheaper. Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks for your help

jz

Comments (12)

• neohioheatpump
    12 years ago

well, you don't want to upsize if the old size was fine. bigger isn't better when talking sizing for your heating and cooling system. Stick with the same size of 3 tons.

• veesubotee
    12 years ago

Since you're getting a 3 ton a/c, there is no benefit to having a furnace capable of blowing 5 tons (around 2000 CFM) of air, as the a/c only needs about 1200 CFM. Doubt your duct system could handle the increased airflow.

A better question is, do you need around 72,000 BTU (output) of heat. Was a heat calc done? You might be able to get away with less than 3 ton a/c.

V

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

JZ

What size and efficiency furnace are you replacing? BTUs please.

Let's break down the quote.

I have to admit I don't follow your dealer's logic.

The smaller furnace quoted is a two stg var spd 80% eff furnace.

The larger furnace is a two stg var speed 95% eff furnace.

Both will require a two stg thermostat for best operation. I am not familiar with Emerson thermostats.

On the coil, dealer has quoted a third party ADP evap coil. That's not what I would recommend. I would want the best matching Rheem coil for your application. Certainly a point to raise with dealer.

How do you filter your return air?

I would also ask dealer to verify mdl number of AC condenser. Not certain but I believe he is quoting a discontinued mdl.

Post back.

IMO

• Jay_Zee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the quick responses. The current 25y old system is a Lennox 3-ton unit and has been doing a great job. No problems except it's old and in-efficient. Heats and cools great.

The reason for these two furnaces is we get a rebate from Rheem, & utility companies that adds up to $1500.
    Filter would be a std 1"x14"x28" that comes with the system and is located in the furnace closet.

I'll see what he says about a Rheem coil vs. an ADP. And about a smaller 3-ton furnace.

Thanks again,
    jz

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

What size in BTUs and efficiency is your existing furnace? No tons, just BTUs please.

And I would recommend a 4-5" pleated filter media cabinet over 1" filters.

IMO

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

JZ

cascade is correct.

The RGRM 95% eff furnace is available in a 60 KBTU model that probably is the correct size.

And the AC condenser quoted has been discontinued and replaced with mdl RARL037-JEZ. I wouldn't have the ADP coil. Is dealer quoting new refrigerant line set?

IMO

• Jay_Zee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The existing furnace is a Lennox G16Q3-50 model. I can't find the BTU's in any of the info I have. Tried googling this make & model number & no luck. Probably too old (date on the manual 1984). Efficiency - I've no idea, one contractor said about 70%??

The only reason he proposed a 5-ton was done based on efficiency & to qualify for rebates. He recommends the 4-ton unit that matches up nicely with the A/C. He's getting me a quote for the matching Rheem coil & a better filter.

I've also gotten 2 other bids - a Ruud & a Carrier but found these products not on the same level as Rheem.

Thanks again,
    jz

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"I can't find the BTU's in any of the info I have. "

It is on the nameplate of the unit.

• veesubotee
    12 years ago

RUUD is identical to RHEEM; differ in color of unit and badge. Model numbers begin with R or U.

V

• mike_home
    12 years ago

I am curious as to why you say Carrier is not as the same level as Rheem. Is it because the Carrier contractor quoted a lower grade of equipment?

Rudd and Rheem are the same equipment. You have to get a quote on the identical models from each manufacturer to make an apples to apples comparison.

• Jay_Zee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@ Mike home - Carrier is not on the same playing field as Ruud or Rheem because of what I've read & heard of they're overall position in the residential HVAC products. Are you a Carrier contractor - convince me that their product is just as good.

• mike_home
    12 years ago

I am a homeowner and not a Carrier contractor. My 25+ year old Carrier furnaces and condensers gave me very few problems in the time I owned them that I decided to stay with Carrier equipment when I replaced them two years ago.

I am not sure what you have heard and read. I own the Carrier Infinity systems and so far I have been very pleased with their performance. I am not an expert on Rudd or Rheem so I can't compare the equipment.

Is there something in particular you are concerned about?

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional