Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is evap coil made of copper?

Posted by cindywhitall (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 19, 12 at 17:49

I was told to take my lineset to the scrapyard myself because of high copper scrap prices. I did verify that it is up to $3.00-$3.20/lb my local yards. I have approx 70 feet (35 each way) which from what I'm told and have read is about 20-30 pounds. The yard is 6 miles away so totally worth it.

A poster on this forum told me he got $150 for his lines and coil. That was a couple months ago,when copper was lower price. I dont know how many feet his lines were.He says the coil is made of copper and obviously they will be removing it as I'm getting the whole new system. I don't know the ac or coil models off hand. The ac was a Lennox from 1996, 10 seer or so. The furnace was a g26.

Is it likly the coil has a good amount of copper? Will it be a big deal for the installers to leave me the coil? They are not subs, this company uses their own employees if that matters.

I don't want to take apart everything, but the person told me they just took the coil and the tubing without taking anything apart. Seems easy enough!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is evap coil made of copper?

copper lines go through aluminum fins.

I think that you get one price for 'pure'
copper and another price for the copper/aluminim
mixed parts. don't quote me on that.

not too hard to sawsall the ends off but
a pita to get the rest apart.

one of the hvac companies here has
a guy in slow periods that scraps all the
stuff they've removed & they have a crawfish
boil.

wouldn't be anything I'd spend my time on
and I'm a pretty handy gal & have lots of tools.

best of luck.

o

Thanks, is the coil itself normally removed as a separate piece or am I asking a lot for them to leave it? I don't mind taking it to the scrapyard with the tubing to see what I can get. Worst case is that I get very little for it (in one piece). I have no intention of trying to separate the coil metals! Just throw in the back of the suv, and off I go.

o

When my folks had their 5-ton coil replaced, it came out in one large piece. Heavy/awkward enough for a 2-person lift.

You're getting all-new equipment, right? Then they may not be taking the coil out separately from the blower.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here