Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with HVAC estimates

Posted by elaineycabaney (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 6, 12 at 17:44

Quotes for my 1300 sq ft single story Brick 1928 home. Old windows and insulated attic only:

CONTRACTOR #1

A) Goodman GSZ13036 (heat pump)
Goodman CHPF36
Goodman GKS9090 (furnace)
Size KW
BTU/SEER rating 3 ton/13 seer
Programmable Edge thermostat
Hybrid Heat Pump
Total: $5383

B) Carrier 25HBC336 (Heat Pump)
Carrier CNPHP36
Carrier 59SC2A080 (Furnace)
Size KW
3 ton/13 seer
same thermostat as above
Hybrid Heat Pump
Total: $5948

Both include the following:

PVC drain/new pad/new copper lineset/reconnect ductwork to new location in basement/add air filter at unit/reconnect fuel piping/PVC Flue/Reconnect control wiring/Install new Power wiring at indoor breaker box/Mechanical & Electrical permit/Add supply in Kitchen.

CONTRACTOR #2

Amana Model #'s AMH 950703B and CAPF3131B
Seer 13/EER 11.0/AFUE 95%/Btuh Cooling 30,000/Btuh Heating 70,000/CFM 1000

Installation shall include:

Install 2.5 ton a/c wth 70,000 btu natural gas (needs to be converted to propane) furnace and matching A/C coil.

Repair duct work where package unit is, tied in and seal.

Run new line set-flue-thermostat-equipment pad-duct transitionsand labor to complete job.

new low voltage wiring/new reinforced equip pad/new vibration isolation pads/new properly sized refride suction line(s)/evacuate refrig system/charge to manuf. specs/new copper wire/install energy saving thermostat/make air tight plenum transition/new gas piping from existing to unit/new vent pipe & cap/new condensate drain system.

Total $4,500

(I don't believe he figured on relocating the shutoff to the new indoor breaker box...do you think that it's necessary? He also thought that the current 3 ton gas pack unit was oversized. and he'd reinsulate all ductwork. He did not add the new vent for kitchen in his estimate which I will ask for.)

CONTRACTOR #3 never called back, jeez.

Thanks in advance for any advice and questions I should be asking.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with HVAC estimates

To Clarify:
I live in SC and use propane fuel. Current system is a 3 ton Gas Pack and the compressor is worn out. I have r30 batts in the attic. The contractor didn't realize that he couldn't add soffit vents due to lack of space and the brick exterior. So I have a ridge vent and two gable end vents. I do need additional venting and will most likely add an electric powered gable end fan.

o
RE: Need Help with HVAC Replacement, Please

Here are the load calculations that I did on loadcalc.net (thanks for the tip, garden webber) for a Below Average construction regarding tightness (R30 in attic, brick exterior walls w/o insulation, single pane windows with storms)

Total BTU's Cooling: 37006
Total BTU's Heating: 43690
Sensible Load: 33364
Laten Load: 3642

See original posting on 9/6/12 for estimates received, I am also waiting for an American Standard certified installer for a quote, any recommendations are appreciate. My house always smells stale and I noticed there are air filtrations system, however, I am on a budget and don't plan to stay in the house more than three years. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here