Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dsl68

Carrier Infinity Heat Pump Estimate?

dsl68
9 years ago

I'm looking to install a heat pump with the air handler to be installed in my attic bedroom - want a separate system to cool/heat the attic bedroom and our 2nd floor.

I received the following quote for a Carrier Infinity Heat Pump system for $13.6k (gross - there's a carrier rebate that should get it down to $12.5k on a net basis).

Any thoughts on whether this is reasonable or not? I'm shooting in the dark and wanted to get the collective expertise from the board.

Thank you.

Specs:
*Carrier (25VNA836 3-ton, 2 speed, 16 SEER Infinity Heat Pump
* Carrier Variable Speed Air Handler
* 5 kw heater package
* all mechanicals and ducts
* carrier touch wi-fi control.

Comments (9)

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Location?

• dsl68
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Of course. DC suburbs.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Looks like Carrier's Top of line GreenSpeed system, for an upstairs zone.

Unless one just has deep pockets and does not care about cost, I think this system is overkill and can not be justified from any payback over any conventional HP system such as Trane/AmStd and even Carrier/Bryant.

Also the idea of a 5 KW heat strip seems absurd.

If you want some specific suggestions as alternatives, let me know.

IMO

• dsl68
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I thought the estimate was a little rich. Thanks for the reply.

Would appreciate alternative suggestions. For what it's worth, we have an older home built in the 40s with a single HVAC (Trane AC/Gas Furnace) system powering the whole house. Proposal is to install a new heat pump system for the 2nd and 3rd floors (footprint is roughly 800-900 sq feet). Air handler would be installed in the kneewall area in the attic with ducts installed in the ceiling of the 2nd floor and baseboards of the 3rd floor. I'd assume we'd simply close any existing ducts on the 2nd/3rd floors.

Don't want to go cheap, but at the same time, I'm not looking to buy a Rolls-Royce.

This post was edited by dsl68 on Wed, Sep 10, 14 at 11:59

• sktn77a
    9 years ago

For 800-900 sq ft I'm thinking a 1.5 ton system would be adequate. They need to do a detailed heat gain/loss to justify the 3 ton recommendation. Can't really comment on the price as I don't know the complexity of the ductwork.

Just FYI, manufacturer/utility company rebates are the biggest scam ever foisted on the consumer. Dealers jack up the price by the rebate amount as they are usually expected to participate in the rebate.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

You need a professionally performed load calculation for correct sizing. It is difficult for me to believe that you will require more than a two ton system.

Assuming reasonable access, ductwork is cheap both labor and material. You will want minimum R8 insulation or better. I would want minimum 2 returns for good airflow which will contribute to comfort. I will assume the living area to be heated and cooled will have better than average insulation properties.

Here are HP condensers that I would recommend.
    Trane XR15, XL15i
    Bryant Preferrred 15
    Carrier Performance 15

I prefer HP systems have electronic demand defrost. Trane and AmStd have this feature, Carrier/Bryant do not.

On thermostats, for Trane HW Mdl 8321 or HW Prestige 2.0. For Carrier/ Bryant, Edge Thermidistat.

8 KW heat strip, best rated matching var speed air handler.

I would not cut off your existing ductwork system to this area. Add a manual damper with good access that you can control.

IMO

• dsl68
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for taking time to respond.

I'd say overall that our home has relatively poor insulation properties - it's basically an old brick home with lathe/plaster walls. There's little to no insulation in the walls. We did a decent job insulating the attic ceiling with loose fill and radiant barriers.

I can understand why we might need more than 1.5 to 2 tons, but 3 sounds like a bit much and as you suggest, a professional load calculation seems like the prudent thing to do.

Re: ducts, we'll have returns installed in each room and we won't cut off the existing ductwork, we'd simply shut the existing registers. I'm wary of tearing through plaster to install dampers in the existing ductwork.

Trying to understand your comment on the 5kw heat strip ("absurd"). You think we need more supplemental heat than suggested? I figured the existing gas furnace (heat from the main floor) would mitigate the need for more heat.

Any thoughts on Carrier versus Bryant? Their both owned by United Tech and I'm led to believe Carrier's more expensive just because of the brand.

Thoughts? Thanks again.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

No, do not shut off registers....add a manual damper control as I recommended.

The two Carrier/Bryant condensers I recommended are the same. Carrier and Bryant are sister companies.

I prefer electronic demand defrost. Trane/AmStd offer this feature, Carrier/Bryant do not. A big deal in my opinion. EDD eliminates/reduces unnecessary, nuisance and expensive defrost calls. Pay attention here.

Insulate wherever possible, the biggest bang for your buck!

IMO

• dsl68
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for taking time to respond.

I'd say overall that our home has relatively poor insulation properties - it's basically an old brick home with lathe/plaster walls. There's little to no insulation in the walls. We did a decent job insulating the attic ceiling with loose fill and radiant barriers.

I can understand why we might need more than 1.5 to 2 tons, but 3 sounds like a bit much and as you suggest, a professional load calculation seems like the prudent thing to do.

Re: ducts, we'll have returns installed in each room and we won't cut off the existing ductwork, we'd simply shut the existing registers. I'm wary of tearing through plaster to install dampers in the existing ductwork.

Trying to understand your comment on the 5kw heat strip ("absurd"). You think we need more supplemental heat than suggested? I figured the existing gas furnace (heat from the main floor) would mitigate the need for more heat.

Any thoughts on Carrier versus Bryant? Their both owned by United Tech and I'm led to believe Carrier's more expensive just because of the brand.

Thoughts? Thanks again.