Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
basilbird2

Trane xl16i vs Rheem Prestige 17

basilbird2
12 years ago

We appreciate any input on the following purchasing decision: Buying 3200 s/f two story house in coastal NC. Currently there are 3 HPs, however only one (a 1 1/2 ton unit in a downstairs converted garage bedroom, bath and sunroom) is operating. The two others (2 ton & 2 1/2 ton) not running. All ductwork needs to be replaced, we will be changing out to efficient windows and adding insulation.

Deciding between going with 2 new heat pumps on both levels, OR heat pump upstairs with dual fuel split system downstairs.

Heat Pump only systems:

CHOICE #1

Trane XL16i 4TWX6024 with TAM7AOB30 (same unit up and down)

Dual Fuel & Heat Pump Systems:

CHOICE #2

Upstairs: Trane xl16i w/ TAM7AOB30H21SA trane BAYEVAC05BK1AA

Downstairs same heat pump as above with Trane TUH2B060A9V3VA 95% gas furnace w/ 4txcb004cc3hca coil

CHOICE #3

Upstairs: Rheem RPRL024JEC 2 TON w/ RHPLHM2421JC AND RXBH-1724C05J

Downstairs: same heat pump as above w/ RGRM06EMAES 95% gas furnace s/

RCFMHM2417CC coil

All three options are priced within $1500.00 of each other after all rebates and credits. The Rheem is least expensive and the Trane dual fuel is most expensive. Actually awaiting one more quote on the all-heat pump Trane, which I expect to be perhaps lower that our last.

Comments (9)

• basilbird2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Follow-up:

We have decided that we will be happier with gas on those cold days, so we are no longer considering Choice #1.

So, any help with the pros and cons of the Trane vs. Rheem would be so greatly appreciated!

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

Basil

I like both brands mentioned.

But given you are in a coastal location, I think Trane/AmStd coils and condensers hold up better in harsh environments.

I am going to assume you will be sized correctly.

I think a 95% eff furnace in a DF system is overkill for a moderate winter climate. I would look at the XV80 and weigh the cost difference.

I would also do same with the XL16i versus the sgl stg XL15i or XR15 condensers whether HP or AC.

IMO

• basilbird2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for your response!

I will ask for a quote w/ 80% furn, they had originally suggested this but am not sure why the switched to higher eff. Thanks for the reminder!
    Meanwhile...
    Sorry to confuse the issue, but I never realized how confusing and difficult it was to choose equipment to heat and cool a house!

We keep flip flopping on whether to use the gas or not, so once again we are considering the all heat pump systems AND we have added Amana to the mix.

Along with the above units listed on original post, we are considering
    CHOICE 4:
    (Heat Pump Only)
    Amana ASZC160241 16 SEER 2 state with AVPTC313714A V/S Handler

CHOICE 5:
    Amana HP listed above for up and downstairs, along with gas furn down:
    AMVC950453BX with CHPF3636B6

I appreciate the info, as well, that the Trane has advantages in our climate. Would the Amana have the same problems as the Rheem in our environment? Also, have some quotes on the XR15 4TWR5024 with GAM5AOA18 which is within about $2000 of the xl16i. If going with just HPs, would the comfort level be the same in the winter for each? Reason we wanted gas was because we hate the feeling of cold air blowing in winter... Also, would the humidity control be better with the 16i v the 15?

Thanks again so much for helping us sort this out!!!

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

Basil

Put the 80% two stg var speed furnace paired with HP for main floor and high eff HP with var speed air handler and backup heat strip for upstairs system.

I prefer the XL15i or XR15 over the XL16i condenser.

You do realize the XL16i condenser whether AC or HP is only available in full ton sizes, no 1/2 ton sizes.

I would not have the Amana systems.

The TAM7AOB30 air handler is a much better choice for the 2 ton XR15 HP condenser.

How do you rate the insulation and Bldg qualities of this home?

Post back.

IMO

• basilbird2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We will be replacing the windows and installing new insulation in the attic as soon as possible. The house was well constructed, but was built in the 70's and current owner faced considerable financial difficulties, so regular maintenance was neglected. We hope to bring it up to speed.

Thanks for your opinion on the Amana, That knocks one unit out. As for Rheem, I guess the current price benefit might not help in the long run if it wont hold up in our climate.

I did know about the full tons in the 16i. One of our quotes did put a 3 ton with a 2 ton, but the other 4 quotes all sized two 2 tons. Not sure how to know which is best.

Also, if you don't mind me inquiring further, can you tell me why you prefer the 15's to the 16? Thanks again.

• basilbird2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We will be replacing the windows and installing new insulation in the attic as soon as possible. The house was well constructed, but was built in the 70's and current owner faced considerable financial difficulties, so regular maintenance was neglected. We hope to bring it up to speed.

Thanks for your opinion on the Amana, That knocks one unit out. As for Rheem, I guess the current price benefit might not help in the long run if it wont hold up in our climate.

I did know about the full tons in the 16i. One of our quotes did put a 3 ton with a 2 ton, but the other 4 quotes all sized two 2 tons. Not sure how to know which is best.

Also, if you don't mind me inquiring further, can you tell me why you prefer the 15's to the 16? Thanks again.

• neohioheatpump
    12 years ago

You will be well-served with the trane or rheem system, but like tiger said, the trane units hold up better in the coastal environment. If the 95% furnace isn't much more expensive than the 80% I would go with the 95%. Some people make a big deal out of installing the pvc pipes to vent the exhaust of the furnace while other installers don't. 95% is just plain better.

The trane 15XR have more btu's per ton, and are less complicated than the 16. The 16's are only slightly more efficient. The nice feature they do have is being 2-stages so they can run on the low stage and de-humidify better or run longer on mild days.

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

Basil

95% eff furnaces are not better, just more efficient. The fact of the matter is how often would you require backup. And on the 95% furnace, you would never use the second stg. I have never liked the idea of purchasing anything that I will never use. However as long as one has an exterior wall available and relatively close, the install of the PVC pipes for waste gas really is inconsequential and quite easy.

Now to the XL16i condenser. This condenser has always had questionable dehumidification properties. It has a two stage step
    compressor, low stage about 70% BTU output of high stage. I prefer the XR15 or XL15i HP or AC condenser, properly sized.

I hope you took note and understand the significance of the cooling BTU
    haircut of the DF system paired with the XL16i condenser. Not something to overlook.

IMO

• basilbird2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm sorry, I am no expert, am trying to understand what is and is not important, but can't get an education fast enough! The only kind of haircut I know of is on my head! Please explain for a layperson who really wants to understand! Thanks!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting