Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
veesubotee

Another mini-split question: Brickeyee

veesubotee
11 years ago

Didn't want to hijack anybody's thread so posting new. I have seen installations where the OD unit was 'tacked' onto the side of the house, with lines run up to and into the 2nd floor attic to service the second floor.

I went to the Mitsubishi site and as I suspected, the indoor units are in effect, an evaporator and blower combined. Assuming the room units are installed at the junction (or slightly below) the wall and ceiling, how is any condensate produced dealt with? I'm asking because as I understand it, the lines to/from the room would go upward before going across the attic, then downward.

I didn't see any info on the mfg's site indicating condensate lines.

Thanks for your input.

V

Comments (16)

• ionized_gw
    11 years ago

Good question. Those pictured installations typically go straight through the wall to the little wall unit with control and power lines, drain line and refrigerant lines. They don't see the attic. I don't recall seeing this kind of equipment with built-in condensate pumps. It is possible that they exist. Of course, you could mount a condensate pump anywhere below that you want. A closet would work.

Mine are mostly on interior walls in a raised house. If you have a basement, there is no reason a condensate pump could not be installed there if necessary.

The ceiling-mounted equipment does have provision for condensate pumps as do the floor-mounted and mini AHUs.

I just got done with a hurricane power outage experience. Three and a half days of no POCO, two and a half of 6.5 kW portable genset running a refrig (no freezer), deep freeze and two multi splits. It was nice compared to not being able to run the "central" or buying and putting up window units.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"Assuming the room units are installed at the junction (or slightly below) the wall and ceiling, how is any condensate produced dealt with?"

Condensate pumps.

They have a small reservoir and a float switch, and then pump the condensate to a high point to then drain from there.

• ionized_gw
    11 years ago

I've not seen residential high wall-mounted units with built-in condensate pumps. There are some, that I suspect are more commercial application, that have add-on pumps with cases that match the main units and are designed to be mounted next to and contiguous with them.

• SaltiDawg
    11 years ago

Is this applicable? No experience here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mini-Split Condensate Pumps

• harlemhvacguy
    11 years ago

The condensate pumps do not come built in on the wall hung unit but they are an option. Several company's make them. Saurman, little giant ect. They fit inside the wall hung unit in the back. They are hidden from view.

• ionized_gw
    11 years ago

You can easily find installation manuals. For example, search on "MSZ-GE06/09/12/15/18NA".

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"I've not seen residential high wall-mounted units with built-in condensate pumps."

Why would a manufacturer include something that most units will not require?

• ionized_gw
    11 years ago

The way you phrased your first post in this thread, you seemed to indicate that most units do have pumps.

• PRO
    CJ Mechanical of North jersey llc.
    11 years ago

I would not use a minipump if possible. I installed 3 units while the masterbed rm gravity drained to the exterior.the other 2 bedrooms high wall units pumped up to the attic then drained into a plumbing drain stack. The intermittant noise was an issue for the bedrooms. I went back and wraped duct insulation around the pump to help quite it down. It was not extremly noisey but noticable.
    I probally could have placed those 2 rms on the exterior and drain directly out . but may not look to good on a 100 yr old house front facing.

• ionized_gw
    11 years ago

Does anyone have experience with peristaltic condensate pumps? They should be a lot quieter. I guess I would be concerned with the tubing wear, but I suppose you need to be able to get at any kind of pump for service.

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

In our house, where we had second story ductless run, the condensate was just gravity drained. It is one of the reasons for the preference of it being on an outside wall. (yes, they put a hole in the wall.)

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"The way you phrased your first post in this thread, you seemed to indicate that most units do have pumps."

you read way to much into what was posted.

"Condensate pumps.

They have a small reservoir and a float switch, and then pump the condensate to a high point to then drain from there. "

It says noting about them being par of the unit.

It says that is what is needed.

• ionized_gw
    11 years ago

In that case, the most accurate response is "gravity". The mention of condensate pumps with no other guidance was misleading.

• veesubotee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi guys, thanks for your input. Been away on a vacation, out of internet range.

Prior to my posting, I was under the impression that unless some type of pump was added, gravity was the answer.

So, with a typical 'colonial' layout (all bedrooms having at lease 1 outside wall), would one have to run chases (below ceiling) from the lines' entrance point?

V

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"The mention of condensate pumps with no other guidance was misleading."

From the OP " I'm asking because as I understand it, the lines to/from the room would go upward before going across the attic, then downward."

Water does not reliably run "upward."

• ionized_gw
    11 years ago

"So, with a typical 'colonial' layout (all bedrooms having at lease 1 outside wall), would one have to run chases (below ceiling) from the lines' entrance point?"

All of the lines and cables can be run within interior or exterior walls if you prefer. It will cost more than just drilling through the walls and running them on the outside. Running them on the outside has the advantage of accessibility for future repairs.