Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hard8hopping_gw

Price for 5 ton carrier condenser installation

hard8hopping
10 years ago

What should I expect to pay to install 5 ton Carrier Comfort series a/c condenser? I already have a new Day & Night furnace installed and hooked up to gas line in my attic space. Don't have the condenser yet. Freon line and power lines are installed and protruding/hanging from rear of house where condenser is to be installed. The a/c power line needs to be hooked up to its own circuit breaker. I have an A/C / Electrical guy who quoted me $4300 for the 5 ton carrier unit and labor. I called his supplier and they told me the 15 SER unit costs $2518. That means he's asking for $1800 labor. This is the Los Angeles area. And it's in the 90's this week. LOL Thanks for your help.

Comments (7)

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Unless your furnace has a high eff or var speed blower, you are wasting your money on a 15 SEER condenser. I assume a matching Carrier evap coil and new refrigerant lineset. You don't want a third party brand. Why not a matching Day and Nite condenser to have a complete matching system? For California, I don't think the price is too bad for a 5 ton.

IMO

• hard8hopping
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi tigerdunes,

I guess we asked for carrier because we recognized the carrier name and not Day & Night. Also assumed my former general contractor installed the cheapest furnace he could find.

So you're saying stick with a 13 SER Day & Night 5-ton condensor if the existing Day & Night furnace is not high-efficiency or variable speed.

Everything is new. It's a major remodel that replaced the furnace/blower/condenser. I'm assuming the furnance and evap coil are both by Day & Night. The contractor said the unit was hanging from the rafters in the attic space.

Thanks!

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Perhaps I misunderstood. If you already have an evap coil mounted, then get the brand and model and match it up to the correct condenser. That's the best and only way to go. What size is home and furnace?

IMO

• hard8hopping
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just climbed up there to take a look. I could only see a label on the furnace that said "Day & Night" and a manual that said "International Comfort Products" Model N8MSL/N8MSN. I could see the insulated freon line running into another sheet metal box at the other end of the furnace, but I couldn't find any writing or labels on it. So I can't tell what type of cooling coils it has or whether the blower is variable speed or high-efficiency.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

First you need to know and understand exactly what you have including evap coil and furnace.

I would call a day and night dealer first.

What size home? Why do you think you need a 5 ton? New furnace has a 5 ton rated blower. Any filter cabinet? Get these questions answered before you make a mistake.

IMO

• rbheatNair
    10 years ago

That model of Day & Night furnace is not a high efficiency unit so there is no need to try and go with a 15 seer condensener. Also, it is never recommended to mismatching a system especially a lower end brand with a higher end brand because you will just end up with more problems which will cost more in the long run. I would either install a Day & Night 5 ton 13 seer condenser which should cost you $2,900 or replace the whole system for around $4,800.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

OP is certain he already has an evap coil installed?

Here is link to Day and Night website for dealer locator.

IMO

Here is a link that might be useful: Dealer Locator