Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frankiethefish

3 Heat Pump Quotes

frankiethefish
12 years ago

Ok just like everybody else I could use some advice. I'm leaning towards going with the Rheem, because I'm more comfortable with that contractor, but I want to make sure it's not a piece of junk. If the Kenmore or York are noticable better, I'd spend a little more to go with them.

Any opinions? I also added the Lennox as a bonus.

1000 sqf Townhouse in Central NJ, all electric heat,ac,everything.

Quote 1: Rheem 14AJM outside unit, with Rheem RHLL Air Handler. 15 seer 2-ton system. $5700

Quote 2: York YHJF2454151 outside unit 2-ton 15 seer, with York AHE30B3XH21 Air Handler - 2.5 Ton ECM Motor. $6800

Quote 3: Kenmore N4H324KA outside unit - 13,14 seer 2-ton. With FSM4P2240 Air handler. I can't even find this model online, his handwriting is sloppy but I'm pretty sure those are the right model numbers. $6450

Bonus Quote: Lennox XP13 Outside unit, with Lennox CBX27 air handler. $7684

Much Appreciated!!

Comments (8)

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

Frankie

While I do like Rheem, I don't care for that specific HP mdl quoted.

I am not a fan of Lennox and don't want anything that has the Kenmore name on it.

for a new HP system
    You should replace everything both inside air handler and outside condenser.

these are the minimum specs you should be looking for.
    both outside and inside units should be replaced to have a properly matched system.

15 SEER, 12.5+ EER, 9 HSPF
    best matching VS air handler
    full BTUs in both cooling and heating for your rated size
    R-410a refrigerant(same as Puron)
    scroll compressor preferred
    electronic demand defrost preferred
    thermostat with "dehumidify on demand" feature
    staged backup heat strips
    new and correctly sized refrigerant lineset
    10 yr warranty on parts and compressor

you want a thorough inspection of your ductwork system. size, overall condition, supply and return lines, insulation qualities, leak test, etc.

any hot/cold spot issues in your home should be addressed.

My personal recommendation is Trane/AmStd, Rudd/Rheem, and Carrier/Bryant.

Depending on your location, I would not purchase a new system that did not have electronic demand defrost.

IMO

• neohioheatpump
    12 years ago

That York quote is good. Their equipment is very quiet. I have that same model and I"ve been very happy. The rheem would work also if your trying to save cash.

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

Frankie

Get an upgrade price of both the following Rheem Mdl RPQL HP systems.

They are basically the same; one has the var speed blower, the other has the high eff blower.

3592090 Active Systems RHEEM RPQL SERIES RHEEM MANUFACTURING COMPANY RPQL-024JEZ � RHKL-HM2417+RCSL-H*2417 � 24200 13.00 15.00 23000 9.00 13900

3592091 Active Systems RHEEM RPQL SERIES RHEEM MANUFACTURING COMPANY RPQL-024JEZ � RHLL-HM2417+RCSL-H*2417 � 24000 12.50 15.00 23000 9.00 13900

IMO

• frankiethefish
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks to both for the responses,

Tiger, I got a quote on the RPQL model you recommended. The price when matched with the RHLL is just about $7k even. Does that seem like a reasonable increase over the previous quote?

If so, I think I'm going to just go with that one and get it done.

Thanks!

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

Frankie

That's the same air handler first quoted. I don't see how there could be a $1300 up charge for the better condenser.

I would ask dealer to refigure to see if he made a mistake. Something just not right here.

What size heat strip is he quoting? New lineset included? New thermostat included?

Post back.

IMO

• frankiethefish
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok it looks like the previous price did not include tax, and this one does include tax... thats almost $500 of the difference. So that makes it an additional $800 for the better condenser.

• SkyHeating
    12 years ago

The better condensor is worth it IMO, I rarely put the in AJM models, they are a bit louder, and dont' seem to operate as well as the RPQL model line which I have no complaints about and neither does my customer. The Efficiency on the heating side is also higher on the RPQL depending on model. Are you looking at the RPQL-024JAZ or JEZ? the JAZ is going to save you money over the JEZ which only adds some tech diagnostics and does not add much to the efficiency. However, If you do the RPQL-024JEZ and the RHKL variable speed instead of X13 air handler there is a $600 factory rebate.

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

Frankie

I am not comfortable with the pricing you are receiving.

If you have time, I suggest the following.

Rudd is the sister company of Rheem and has the exact same HVAC. see below.

3612092 Active Systems RUUD UPQL SERIES RUUD AIR CONDITIONING DIVISION UPQL-024JEZ � RHLL-HM2417+RCSL-H*2417 � 24000 12.50 15.00 23000 9.00 13900

If SkyHeating is correct, then I do recommend the RHKL var speed air handler over the x-13 RHLL model

I have found NJ very expensive in the HVAC market.and I do like JEZ for the diagnostics.

I am attaching the link below for the Rudd website which should help you on locating a dealer for your area.

IMO

Here is a link that might be useful: Rudd HVAC Website

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert