Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
archie2013_gw

Trying to figure out HVAC

Archie2013
10 years ago

I just bought a house in SW PA and it has old fashioned electric baseboard heat. The house is on a slab and was built in 1968. I need to figure out a new HVAC system and it will be installed from scratch. My options are geothermal (expensive and I'm told a "cool" heat), oil (expensive and will need to buy the tank, etc.), or sticking with a new more efficient electric heating system. I don't have any quotes on choices yet as I am just beginning this search. We won't be in the house until spring 2014 as it will be going through an extensive remodel. Thanks for any advice!

Comments (8)

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Make insulation upgrades part of your remodel project.

I assume you don't have nat gas service and will add a ductwork system for the attic.

There is always a conventional air to air high eff heat pump system.

You might want to look at Carrier's relatively new low temp GreenSpeed heat pump system.

That would be my starting place.

See link below.

IMO

Here is a link that might be useful: Carrier GreenSpeed System

• ionized_gw
    10 years ago

Consider mini-splits as well as ducted systems.

• Archie2013
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone. No natural gas in the area. We will be running duct work through the attic. I think they are talking some kind of tubing for ducts. Insulation is definitely part of the work being done.

• ionized_gw
    10 years ago

Ducts outside of the house should be avoided if practical. Can you fur down some areas to keep that to a minimum? Ducts leak and turn your forced air system into a power vent.

• Archie2013
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ducts will all run through the attic - nothing outside. HVAC contractor is recommending a Comfortmaker CHK548 4.0 Ton 15 SEER air to air heat pump system. Anyone know about this brand?

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

The pricing and brand are ridiculous. Not sure which is worse.

If not considering geothermal HP system, the I would get a Carrier dealer involved for a quote on GreenSpeed system and a conventional Infinity HP system.

Also get a quote on a Trane XR17 HP system.

IMO

Here is a link that might be useful: ICP Website

This post was edited by tigerdunes on Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 7:47

• mike_home
    10 years ago

Comfortmaker is a brand within the International Comfort Products corporation. It is lower tier equipment typically used by builders. If you plan to be in the house a long time then I recommend getting better equipment.

How large is this house? How did the HVAC contractor come up with a size of 4 tons? You need to find an HVAC contractor who will do a load calculation. The upgraded insulation and new windows if you are getting them need to be factored into the calculation. You don't want an oversized system.

• ionized_gw
    10 years ago

If the attic is vented, it is outside of the house envelope.

Leaks in supply ducts blow conditioned air outside the house and depressurize the house. That, in turn sucks are in through leaks in the envelope.

Leaks in outside returns suck outside air in and pressurize the living area blowing air out through leaks in the envelope.

How is a heat pump sized correctly in SW PA? If you get sufficient heat, will the cooling have to be oversized? Where I live, it is a no-brainer. If I have enough cooling, heating will be oversized, but that is not so much of a problem and no problem at all with variable speed.