Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thebutcher_gw

Humidifierr leaking

thebutcher
10 years ago

Hi all, I have been on the garden section and kind of new but recently I had a problem with my humidfier Apri A model 110. It seems to be dropping water on the bottom and I turned off the sadle valve about 14 hours ago until it was tight. today it had some more water but is it possible that water was left in the humidifeier after it was turned off. THe heating is electric not the other and the AC is working. I just want to know how to permently disable it.

I also followed the 1/4 inch water line where the valve was placed. and turned it right until it stopped. Now since the valve was turned off, should I unplug the unit from electrical? The thermostat setting on it was also off a day ago after I noticed it.

Thanks in advanced.

This post was edited by thebutcher on Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 15:26

Comments (15)

• ionized_gw
    10 years ago

The only good solution is to turn off the water, remove the saddle valve and patch the plumbing. You can temporarily patch the plumbing with a device designed to clamp a seal onto the pipe that can be had at fine stores where plumbing supplies are found. They are not meant to be a permanent fix. A permanent fix will be to remove the holed section of pipe and put in a new section.

You can unplug the humidifier, but that probably won't stop the water if it is not stopped already. Once it is unplugged and the water shut off, you can wait until your next service for someone to unhook the rest of it.

• SaltiDawg
    10 years ago

ionized,

Not worth trouble shooting and possibly repairing?

Just asking. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Owners Manual

This post was edited by saltidawg on Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 17:52

• ionized_gw
    10 years ago

OP wrote. " I just want to know how to permently disable it."

• thebutcher
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you s much both. I turned the saddle valve off last night then it leaked again about 14 hours after. It seams to happen after the AC goes on. I think to permenatly disable it would be the best.

The leak comes directly from the bottom of the electric furnace with the model April 110 and I can hear dripping sounds after it runs then shuts off, then a small puddle forms. The air filter is also wet. But about 5 hours ago I hit the saddle valve completley shut that goes to the water heater. I thought it was shut before but it nudged a little bit tighter. I was afraid to break the copper pipe if I hit it to hard.

Perminant stop would be best, and I believe the whole unit was installed about 1995, but unsure of the humidifier 110.

Much appreciated for your help :)

• ionized_gw
    10 years ago

If you find the humidifier useful, it would be worth looking at it. They are not complicated devices. If you remove the saddle and repair the pipe now, you could include a proper fitting to re-connect the humidifier later.

• thebutcher
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again,

Now is there a "disable device" with out solder ect... or calling a plumber/HVAC but a DIY to the 1/4" line after the saddle was disabled? My fear is that maybe the saddle has failed after I shut it down completely (As I think I did, it would not budge anymore).

But something that would screw into the 1/4 inch copper tube coming from the saddle not effecting the 1/2" main heat line coming from the heat pump for the whole house.

One more question and I must applagize, can the humidfier hold a certain amount of water where it would dump it every so now and then?

Both of you have been most helpful!

• ionized_gw
    10 years ago

The saddle valve is connected to a 1/2 inch hot water pipe attached to the water heater?

Google "pipe repair clamp". Remember, this is not meant to be permanent.

The humidifier should drain continuously. Where does it drain into when operating normally? Your drain might be clogged or your pump disabled. If the latter, your Aprilaire should shut off with the pump safety float.

This post was edited by ionized on Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 19:48

• SaltiDawg
    10 years ago

In my post above I included a link to the Manual for the April Air 110. I have another April Air unit that uses the same manual.

They are easy to service if you are at all handy. Parts are readily available.

They do need to be "serviced" regularly... like every six months. The filter cruds up and the solenoid has a filter in the water line.

As was pointed out, you asked how to permanently disable it. I apologize if I got the thread off track. However, at some point someone thought your home needed a humidifier during heating season. Unless you are heating at this time, the saddle valve should have been closed already.

Also, assuming you have a bypass humidifier, during cooling season the flapper on the unit should have been shut or you were losing efficiency and cooling effectiveness.

• thebutcher
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@ionize: The saddle valve is connected to a 1/2 inch hot water pipe attached to the water heater? Yes

The humidifier should drain continuously. Where does it drain into when operating normally? It goes down to a PVC Piping that goes directly into the French drains from the humidifier and about 10 years since living here, there was never a problem.

The Humidifier came with the house after we moved in aproxx 2002 and never serviced to shut off. The whole system has been repaired and serviced in the past couple of years except for the humidifier.

@Saltydawg: As was pointed out, you asked how to permanently disable it. I apologize if I got the thread off track. However, at some point someone thought your home needed a humidifier during heating season. Unless you are heating at this time, the saddle valve should have been closed already..

No worries the AC has been on and the humidifier was never shutdown or water from that valve shut down until I did it last night and recently today to turn it to the max with out too much force.

Many thanks again both of you I really really apreciate it. and the best option is to do with out it currently. The temperature is set to 74F and previously was around 70F

Many thanks again!!! :)

• SaltiDawg
    10 years ago

Me thinks your missing my point.

The humidifier should NOT be operating during cooling season!

The humidifier should not be causing air to bypass during cooling season. Period! If it is, you are reducing your A/C units ability to cool your house and wasting elecricity!

I change the element in my April Aire unit, a cousin of your unit, twice a year. It is really "crudded up" with mineral deposits when I do so.

You really should read the Manual at the link I gave you... these are simple devices and only a few things can go wrong and they are all easily repairable!

This post was edited by saltidawg on Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 9:29

• thebutcher
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I gotcha, how hard would it be to change it or clean it? The thing looks intimidating and heavy and is 7ft high up with about a foot of clearing. I am just affraid to mess it up.

But as of now, everytime the ac runs it leaks and I hand tightened it the best I could.

Thanks again for your help.

Edit: I tried turned the saddle valve tighter and it moved nearly an 1/5 of turn then stopped. i wonder if that helped since it was not completly shut. I will keep posted when the ac coem s back on..

Thanks again

This post was edited by thebutcher on Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 13:01

• SaltiDawg
    10 years ago

It has a light plastic cover. The link I provided gives clear instructions for opening and servicing.

You need to at least look at the manual. If not, I certainly can't help.

• mike_home
    10 years ago

I have to ask this, but why are you running a humidifier in the summer. Isn't in humid enough in Philadelphia?

• thebutcher
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My family moved from Philadelphia to New Jersey this past summer but close enough lol I forgot to change it. I am going to try to take off the cover this weekend.

Thanks again

• SaltiDawg
    10 years ago

And as i mentioned above, the bypass flapper should be shut when in cooling mode and open in heating mode: and if you decide to ultimately disable the humidifier completely, the flapper should be shut in heating mode also.

This post was edited by saltidawg on Sat, Sep 21, 13 at 16:52