Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
merriebeth_gw

Oh please help me with my HVAC quotes

merriebeth
12 years ago

I promise not to rhyme any more but some help would be a score. If we find your help valuable enough in our decision, I may even send you a gift card for beer.

We are in the process of getting bids for a new HVAC system. About us: 3000 sq ft 2-story house in southern Maryland. We currently have a propane furnace with AC unit. No heat pump. We are considering a hybrid but also wondering if we should just go heat pump. Our crystal ball is broke so we are not sure how long we will be here. We do have a full gas tank with about $1000 worth of propane in it - but we won't really factor that in our decision. The only other thing on gas is our oven.

Here are our quotes:

Heat Pump: Carrier 25HNB648

Furnace: Carrier M-58MVC120-20

Coil: Carrier CNPV6124A

I can't quote the ton, seer or AFUE or btus (assume the 120 is just that). He talked all this stuff and had it in his notes but didn�t put it in the quote. I don't think he is hiding anything just didn�t put it on there. I'm not feelin all that well so my google skills aren't producing.

Included in this quote: Complete ToraVac Source Removal System (is this duct cleaning? If so, it is actually ~$500 extra)

10 year parts, 2 year labor, 10 year compressor, 20 year heat exchanger warranty

$11,250 before rebates, claiming $500 fed tax credit, $1100 Carrier rebate, $400 SMECO (local electric co-op) rebate = $9250

Quote 2:

Heat Pump: Carrier 2HBC360W003 2 speed 4.5 � 5 ton

Furnace: Carrier 58MVC120-20 95% modulating gas valve variable speed fan 120,000 btu

Coil: Carrier CNPV6024ATA

Seer: 15

Warranty indicates 10 year limited parts warranty through Carrier

Company indicates repair or replace free of labor charge any parts on the new system found to be defective for a period of 2 years.

$11,980 before rebates claiming $150 tax credit, $1100 Carrier rebate, $200 SMECO rebate = $10,530

Quote 3 (same company as #2)

Heat Pump: Carrier 2HBC360W003

Coil: Carrier CNPV6024ATA

$5130 no rebates

Quote 4

Install New 16 Seer Carrier Comfort Series Air Conditioner + Coil with new 90% 120,000 btu gas furnace

$6800 before rebates claiming $500 fed, $350 SMECO

This guy also pushed a Heil hybrid which we are not entertaining

I�m not sure why the difference in tax credits and rebates from SMECO but might be based on efficiency.

First off which of these units seem appropriate for our situation or are their other options we should be considering. Any insight on the quotes in any shape or form is appreciated.

From,

Merrie Beth in somd

Comments (9)

• neohioheatpump
    12 years ago

I like the heatpump with propane. Having the propane is nice for the gas oven/range and incase its extra cold as a backup. Straight electric might me the same price or cheaper than propane but that all depends how expensive the propane is and the electric is.

I would go with quote 4 because its the most reasonable price. I"m assuming you don't need a 120,000 btu furnace, so you might want to ask contractor to size that down.

You definitely have the right idea by going with a heatpump. Having the propane is worth it since you already have the tank and piping into the house in my opinion.

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

Merrie.

It would help to know your electric rate and cost of propane?

Have you checked with electric utility to see if they offer a special rate for Straight HP system and heat pump in a dual fuel system.

BTW, what size furnace/eff and AC are you replacing?

Post back.

IMO

• veesubotee
    12 years ago

I can't believe that your home requires a furnace (58MVC120)with a maximum output of about 115,000 BTUh. There are some PROs who would argue that a 3-stage furnace is not a true modulating furnace. More than likely, it would never reach high fire, so you'll wind up with a high priced 2 stage unit.

As a comparison, I'm in NJ, near Philly. My 24 year old, 2500 SF house has a calculated heat loss of 60,000 BTU.

V

• weedmeister
    12 years ago

For S. Maryland, are you near the water?

Agree that if you are thinking HP, you should get a quote for a smaller furnace.

Did you have a ManualJ or heat load analysis done? Point being that 120,000BTUs may be too much. Or some simple things like more insulation might help.

• mike_home
    12 years ago

Quote 1 is a very nice system at a reasonable price. You must buy the Infinity controller in order to get the Carrier rebate. I also think you could downsize to the 100K BTU furnace (58MVC100). I would also ask about getting a 4 inch media filter and the 10 year Carrier labor warranty.

You need to calculate your propance and electricity costs in order to determine if it makes sense to have a dual fuel set up. I would be interested in seeing the temperature set point for this system.

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

Merriebeth

I agree that the 120 KBTU furnace is most likely oversized.

Drop to the 100K model

Again I asked several questions.

It would help to know your electric rate and cost of propane?

Have you checked with electric utility to see if they offer a special rate for Straight HP system and heat pump in a dual fuel system.

BTW, what size furnace/eff and AC are you replacing?

Post back.

IMO

• merriebeth
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for everyones input. The deal is we feel confident we need a 5 ton unit given the size (I misquoted, it is 3300 sq ft) and the location/layout of the house. The matching furnance is 120btu in most cases so that justifies the need.

Can I throw another in the mix?

Amana ASZ18, 5 ton 18 seer, Amana 115 btu, 2 stage gas, AMV9. $8786. Why so much lower? Is Amana that different than Carrier? Their warranties seem solid. Thanks for more input.

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

The furnace is oversized.

Drop down to the 100 KBTU MVC mdl.

Be aware the Carrier HP mdl quoted is a 4 ton mdl.

I would take Carrier Infinity over Amana every time.

IMO

• weedmeister
    12 years ago

I asked about being near the water due to salt water exposure. If near the water then you might want to look at something like Trane.