Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pdlee_gw

New HVAC

pdlee
12 years ago

The following units are being installed in my home which is a 2400 Sq ft. one story home in South Carolina near the coast just above Georgia.

Outside Unit: Trane XL16I 4TTX6048E1000B

Coil: 4TXCCO49BC3HCB

Furnace: TUD2C100A9V5VB

The warranty is 10 year parts 2 year labor with the Furnace getting a lifetime warranty on the Heat Exchange

I am told that this will give me a 16 Seer system that will handle the humidity well.

The price is $8393.00 The price includes adding an additional return in the master bedroom. Thoughts and opinions are appreciated. Originally the company were working to give me a 17 Seer for about $500.00 more but could not match the system that we were working with for our budget. Thank you in advance from an A/C beginner. This has been a frustrating experience because the original Lennox (less than six years old) which came with the house had sudden major coil leaks.

Comments (14)

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

Pdlee

How close to the coast?

What is your electric rate? Your gas rate?

New construction or just a replacement?

Certainly nothing special about the pricing but this is Trane and quite typical.

Here are the matching AHRI performance/eff numbers.

3935173 Active Systems XL16I TRANE 4TTX6048E1 � 4TXCC049BC3 *UD2C100B9V5 46500 12.00 16.00

What thermostat was quoted?

Are you doing anything about a whole house air filter cabinet?

If this is a replacement system, what size furnace/eff and AC are you
    replacing.

I personally like the idea of an 80% eff two stg var speed furnace paired with a HP taking into consideration your area/moderate winter climate.

Not certain if dealer is giving you your best coil selection and I might even consider the sgl stg XL15i.

Post back.

IMO

• pdlee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We are about six miles inland from the coast The thermostat is a Honeywell Vision Pro TH8321U .
    This system is replacing the original system that came with the house about six years ago, 10 seer Lennox 3.5 ton. Coil outside and inside coil began to leak losing freon completely within two days.
    Furnace is kept in an unconditioned attic although well insulated.
    They are adding an additional return in the Master bedroom.
    I do not know what the original furnace model was. The furnace is located above the master closet and accessed by a ladder, We are using pleated filters in the returns. I have been advised we could use some kind of filter with the box upstairs but it is not necessary.
    The new furnace model number is slightly different the the one you state. With our unit quoted as an A9v5vb as opposed to the one you stated as B9vV5B. What would be the difference? I am told the furnace is an XV80 variable speed with a lifetime warrantee on the Heat Exchanger.

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

Peles

I would substitute the XL15i HP version in a 3 1/2 or 4 ton size over the XL16i AC version.

I prefer a 4-5" pleated box filter media cabinet over the 1" throwaways.

Dealer quoting new refrigerant line set?

IMO

• pdlee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We are about six miles inland from the coast The thermostat is a Honeywell Vision Pro TH8321U .
    This system is replacing the original system that came with the house about six years ago, 10 seer Lennox 3.5 ton. Coil outside and inside coil began to leak losing freon completely within two days.
    Furnace is kept in an unconditioned attic although well insulated.
    They are adding an additional return in the Master bedroom.
    I do not know what the original furnace model was. The furnace is located above the master closet and accessed by a ladder, We are using pleated filters in the returns. I have been advised we could use some kind of filter with the box upstairs but it is not necessary.
    The new furnace model number is slightly different the the one you state. With our unit quoted as an A9v5vb as opposed to the one you stated as B9vV5B. What would be the difference? I am told the furnace is an XV80 variable speed with a lifetime warrantee on the Heat Exchanger.

• heatseeker
    12 years ago

losing freon within two days would be a very easy leak to find. you have been taken for a ride but hindsight is 20/20. Besides why are you asking all these questions now after they have started the install? sounds like buyers remorse.

• pdlee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Actually the company that was maintaining the system are the ones that initially had trouble finding the leak, they state that it got worse after they tried to refill the freon. I did not use them to purchase the replacement and did not trust them. Having said that, many of the Lennox systems in our development are suffering the same fate after six years and are having to be replaced. As for asking questions after the purchase, there is no buyers remorse. I am simply trying to educate myself and to verify things that the installing company has said. They have been forthright so far and I have learned much from tiger dunes over the last couple of days. Your statement about the leak being easy to find was one of the first questions I asked when it happened. The first repair guy the company sent out appeared to be in a hurry and did not take his time. The second guy found the leaks immediately.
    The company doing the install, which should be completed today have been very thorough and patient with questions. Tigerdunes what is the difference between the furnace that I have purchased and the one you would have gone with. I will also be asking about the box filter cabinet today. Thanks all for your time.

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

pdlee

The difference between the "A" and "B" is something about the blower motor. Both mdls are active furnaces. For specifics, ask your Trane dealer.

For your area/climate, I would have preferred a HP condenser over a straight AC condenser. Still a nice system.

I do recommend a box filter cabinet over the 1" throwaways.

You want Comfort R set up correctly for best dehumidification. I recommend 3 CPH on the thermostat.

IMO

• pdlee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Comfort R set at 3CPH. Is that done thru the thermostat? I know I can move the settings for humidity by percentage. Thanks again. SO far the setup has gone well with the only small annoyance is the new register in the Master Bedroom has a bit of a hum sound when drawing air.

• heatseeker
    12 years ago

sounds like your happy and that is the important thing.

• pdlee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lol! Happy and ignorant and happy and educated are two different things.

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

CPH is adjusted at thermostat. Check your owner's manual.

Make certain dealer gives you all the owner's manuals for condenser, furnace, thermostat, and coil if available.

IMO

• Zgreat1
    12 years ago

We live in North Texas. A month ago, when our heat pump was leaking, we spent $500 to have the leak "chemically" sealed and to "top up" the freon. Last weekend, the a/c went out again and were told that the leak could be bigger and would require a manual trace to locate. The approximate cost would be $900 to fix (if in fact the leak could be located) and to "top up". The proposed option was to replace the system.

We were quoted 3 levels (good, better & best) of 5-ton BRYANT systems: 13 SEER, 10.8 EER/ 7.7 HSPF $7,500; 15 SEER, 12.5 EER/8.7HSPF and 16 SEER, 12.6 EER/9.5 HSPF. "Best" is a dual stage heat pump. Each level comes with a tin-plated air handler, a heat kit and a digital controller.

Are Bryant heat pump systems any good? And the prices reasonable? If not, any recommendations? Brands/models and contractors/dealers?

Note: Our house is all electric with no natural gas line.

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

Great

Start your own thread and I am certain you can get your question answered.

Just good forum protocol.

• Zgreat1
    12 years ago

Thanks, tigerdunes! I didn't realize I was posting in someone else's thread! As you suggested, I have started my own thread and let's hope I will get some great advice!