Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heat pump or heatpump/furnace hybrid needed?

Posted by marktat (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 6, 12 at 14:54

Hi,
looking for help in choosing a new HVAC system. I live in NJ.
Currently my 1,500 SQ. FT ranch is heated with an old oil fired forced air furnace. I do have natural gas service In the house. For cooling I use window AC units. My utility rates are 60cents per cubic ft. and 11 cents per kW.�
I was considering a Carrier hybrid heatpump/natural gas furnace setup but was wondering if just getting one of these new Carrier Greenspeed heatpumps with no furnace would be just as good. � I read here they can be used in low temperatures without need for the gas furnace. Also what about ducting? Currently my ducting is old galvanized (in excellent condition) in basement. My attic should be pretty easy to duct if needed. �I'm a complete rookie at this but want a good system.�

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heat pump or heatpump/furnace hybrid needed?

Nat gas is cheap now.

If you intend to go high eff 95+% eff gas furnace, then I would forget the HP and go straight 14-15 SEER AC condenser.

No more than 60 KBTU furnace 2 stg

Carrier 58MVC
Trane XV95

With sgl stage 2 1/2 ton AC condenser.
Pleated filter media cabinet
Correct two stg thermostat

Thorough inspection of ductwork system including size, adequate return, insulation properties, leaks, etc

IMO

o

Your rates seem low for NJ. Who is your utility provider and where do you live?

I agree with Tiger's advice. If you can install a 95%+ efficiency furnace then it doesn't make sense to install a heat pump. There is nothing wrong with galvanized duct work. The last thing you want to do is move duct work to an uninsulated attic. I assume you are able to reach all the duct work in the basement or crawl space. It may be leaky but it can be sealed.

o

How much is it going to cost to remove the old oil system? Or does that not matter?

o

The Greenspeed is for people who don't have NG access. There is zero economic rationale for it when you have NG.

It would take a crazy utility credit to make the Greenspeed worth it.

o

Thanks guys. I'm in the northwest corner of NJ. PSEG is my provider for gas. I'll remove the oil furnace myself. My duct work is all easily accessible in my basement. Thankfully the oil tank is only a 275 gal above ground. Maybe a Carrier infinity furnace and stand alone central air is the way to go. What you guys think of that? Also one more question? How will these new furnaces be vented outside will they create a lot of steam? If so I would prefer to vent the new furnace out my existing chimney as the furnace is on the north side and steam would promote mildew on that side of the house. Is that possible?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here