Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
willy_yang_gw

new AC system + tankless water heater

Willy.yang
12 years ago

Hi guys,

I live in Massachusetts, I need install a hot air heating system using gas, and a tankless water heater.

I already have central AC with all the duct system.

this contractor come give me a quote, he said since it install in attic, he can only install 80% because higher will have water build up in winter, and going to replace everything.

here is the quote he give to me,

Furnace: Lennox G50UH-36B-090

Specifications: 90,000BTU 80%

Case coil: CH33-36C-2F

Condenser Lennox ACX13-036

New Furnaces and AC Investment

$7,895.00 (Price)

Rinnai: RL94iN Tank less water heater

$3200.00

I checked online, water heater only cost about $1200, he charge me $2000 for labor.

other things I guess cost less than $4000, and Lennox ACX13 need to be XC15 or XC14.

what do you guys think? he is charging me too much?

Comments (15)

• SpringtimeHomes
    12 years ago

Sounds about right to me.

The high labor costs of tankless are one of the reasons they rarely make a good financial investment.

The more technical minded can google "tankless minnesota study" to read about the best current study of the economics of tankless.

Here is a link that might be useful: Consumer reports says tankless not worthwhile investment

• Willy.yang
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks, how about the New Furnaces and AC Investment
    $7,895.00

• ionized_gw
    12 years ago

What are you using for heat now?

• Willy.yang
    Original Author
    12 years ago

electric baseboard heaters

• heatseeker
    12 years ago

do you ask the doctor what his markup is when he operates on you? Do you know what his overhead is like liability insurance, truck insurance, workman's comp., license fees, corporate fees, govt taxes state and federal hourly wages? Oh and don't forget the biggie, advertisement. But I sopose you just want a cut rate discount cause your special, What happens when you go with the low bid and the stuff breaks and the guy you picked on price is nowhere to be found cause he got put out of business because he was working under the radar. You make your own decisions and keep making the legit guy the bad guy okay. Oh yea gas ain't free either.

• Willy.yang
    Original Author
    12 years ago

of course I know there is a markup,
    I am just compare the markup between "the legit guy"
    with this guy's quote, I don't think I can get a Heat Loan.
    and it is a lot of cash up front.

Yes, I just want a cut rate discount cause I am not made out of gold, if he can't compete, stop been a crying baby.

Oh yea money isn't grow on the tree either.

• neohioheatpump
    12 years ago

You might be able to get a better quote on the furnace and A/C. I understand that you can only get an 80% furnace, but in that case you should consider getting the highest efficiency single stage A/C for that kind of money.

I wouldn't invest in a tankless water heater at that price. Why not just a regular gas water heater or one that condenses and vents thru the side of the house with a pvc pipe?

By the way, how much is your electricity? You may want to consider getting a heatpump which typically doesn't cost more than the same model A/C. The time to do something like this is when replacing the A/C.

• heatseeker
    12 years ago

you know the old saying you get what you pay for. And there is a heat loan its called a home improvement loan.

• Willy.yang
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks for the loan tip, I will try that.

• heatseeker
    12 years ago

okay tell us what happens

• Willy.yang
    Original Author
    11 years ago

this is kind late, but I found a guy, legit, with license, insu, install the new AC system, use Carrier. I know Carrier is better than Lennox. $7000 - $1200 rebate, $5800 at end.
    he did all the rebate paper work, twice, first time some of the rebate didn't work. he work alone, hire three guy help him do the heave lifting/remove old system first day, work alone for 3 more days. he remove all the junk, few days later. I am happen with his work.

• mike_home
    11 years ago

Did you get the tankless hot water heater?

• Willy.yang
    Original Author
    11 years ago

the guy give me a quote for $1800 (everything include), but he said since I using well water, it will have a lot of problem later, better stay away from it, he can do it if I really really want it. So I didn't do it.
    PS, I install the AC system last year, so it is been over a year now, everything works fine.

• jacklance88
    11 years ago

We converted to an on-demand or tankless hot water heater in 2007. the unit cost about $1000. it's a Bosch but a lower level model. We sold our old hot water heater for like $75 and I can't tell you how much we save on gas since we never lived in the house without one.We thought it would be crazy to do so because it's an old old home (1780s) with a field stone basement and we would have spent tons for hot water especially if the unit was electric.

Here is a link that might be useful: refrigeration manufacturers nj

• Willy.yang
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I love to install a tankless water heater, but from what the contractor told me, my well water got a lot of iron, even with the water filter I have ( whole house water filter ), it will have problem later, the tankless water heater need yearly maintenance, not a diy thing, need take it a part, and clean all the pipe. install a water softner (too much work/no space for it), install more filter (may not help)