Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chicagoerin

oil heat..which system would work best?

chicagoerin
10 years ago

Hi-I would love to input of the pros on this board. I am buying a 1500 sq ft ranch home with stone/stucco on the outside/unfinished basement that still has oil heat. The neihg hors (some of whom have already switched to gas) say it costs a fortune. The AC is 13 SEER manufactured in 07 and my contractor said the oil furnace looks relatively new. I live in Columbus, OH. The property has an empty well (hooked up to city water). Could this be used for some sort of heat pump? I have been reading about the ductless mini split systems. what are your thoughts on these? I plan on being in the house for 10-20 years. Thanks

Comments (6)

• mike_home
    10 years ago

If you have access to natural gas then switching would be your best option. You could keep the present AC condenser since it is relatively new. The return on investment would be the shortest with getting a high efficiency gas furnace.

Using the well as part of a geothermal system is possible but a much bigger initial investment. Your electric rate would have to be low in order to compete with the current cost of natural gas.

If you already have a duct system in place, then I don't see the advantage of a mini split system.

• chicagoerin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks! I believe it's 2k to tap into the natural gas line.. are you still in favor of that?

• mike_home
    10 years ago

If you switched to a 95%+ efficiency gas furnace your heating costs will be reduced by 50-65% depending on your gas rates. I would also recommend getting a stand alone gas hot water heater for additional savings.

You should be able to recover the $2000 in 3-5 years.

• chicagoerin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks mike! what type of contractor taps into the line which is approx 150 feet away from the house and how much does this usually cost?

• mike_home
    10 years ago

I have never done this, but I recommend you look for a licensed plumber and get the required permits. The plumber will probably sub-contractor the trenching to an excavator to dig the required trench to your house. The cost will be determine how difficult it is to lay the pipe.

Now would be a good time to do this before the ground freezes.

• fsq4cw
    10 years ago

What type of distribution system do you have for heating, forced air or hot water?

Normally itâÂÂs the gas utility company or one of their subcontractors that extends and installs the gas line and gas meter up to your building. Then a specialty contractor or perhaps a plumber connects a line from the meter to the gas furnace.

It should be of no consequence as to whether the ground is frozen or not.

In some areas there may not be any charge for the installation of the gas line as long as youâÂÂre not using a heat pump along with the gas furnace. There may even be a rebate from the gas utility for an Energy Star high efficiency furnace.

SR