Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Summer/Winter hookup

Posted by danhunter (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 8, 07 at 13:34

I have a problem with my oil boiler in my house. When I bought my house the former owners had the boiler hooked up with a summer winter hookup. I have a seperate water heater that creates hot water for the house but the boiler seems to be creating hot water as well. Can someone tell me how the summer/winter hookup works? Also, when I turn on the cold water on my kitchen sink I get about 20 seconds of hot water until it turns cold(this is a huge waster throughtout the day). This problem does not happen when I turn off the boiler during the summer time. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks-Dan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Summer/Winter hookup

Check first the your boiler isn't pre-heating the water for the other tank. If not:

Close the inlet or outlet valve to the pipes that feed the water coil on the boiler. You can then have an experienced heating man turn down the low limit setting on the aquastat to it's lowest setting until cool weather comes. In Fall, it will have to be reset at 150 (cast iron radiators)/160 (baseboard) on the low side.

The low limit setting is what the boiler will heat the water to and then maintain when the thermostat is turned down.

You can also shut down the boiler for the summer, but this may cause leaks at the fittings, which will shorten the life of the boiler.

o
RE:: Summer/Winter hookup

Summer/Winter hook-up is nothing more than supplying cold water to the inlet of the boiler's coil and running it through a series of loops within the boiler water, extracting heat from the boiler's water mass and supplying hot water out the other end of the coil.

I have always used my coil to create hot water. In my area, it's cheaper to use the coil than it is to have a separate hot water heater. In the Winter, hot water is somewhat "free".

o
RE: Summer/Winter hookup

Is your separate hot water heater electric? It's possible the previous home owner set up to run electric in summer and oil in winter. You should have valves that you open and close to switch seasons.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here