Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ibeplato

Lennox cost question

ibeplato
11 years ago

Hi All,

Our home is 2,500 Sq Ft locating in Northern Virginia. It has a gas furnace/AC for the lower level, and a heat pump for the upper level (for heat/AC). The original Trane TW030 died over the weekend and our local tech is recommending a Lennox XP17 2.5 ton with matching CBX32 air handler. We've had no issues with the old system though it does struggle a bit when temps are around zero (which is rare).

We are being quoted $7,700 after discounts/rebates. Does this seem excessive? I'm trying to get quotes from other companies but I wanted to check here as well.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (8)

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

Certainly not inexpensive for a 2 1/2 ton HP system but that is a high end sgl stage model condenser.

What size heatvstrip do you ave now? What size was quoted?

Post back.

IMO

• ibeplato
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Tiger, thanks for your response, they actually didn't specify a heat strip spec, so I'm not sure what they were planning to install but I'll check.

I got a competing quote for an Amana ASZ14 2.5 ton 14 Seer / 9 HSPF system, installed with air handler for $5,200. From what i've read Amana/Goodman are "low end" systems, and a friend of mine who used to install them says to stay away, but I'm wondering if it's worth another $2,500 for the Lennox.

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

What size living area will this system serve?

What size system will you be replacing?

You should find out what size is existing heat strip and what size is being quoted by both Lennox and Goodman dealer.

What exactly are you looking for in a new system?

Goodman and sister company Amana are still regarded as HVAC with emphasis more on price than quality. And there are quality differences within the models of each line. I believe you get what you pay for.

If this was my decision, I would get a price on both Trane's XR13 and XR15 models. You might ask Lennox dealer for a quote on the XP14 condenser as well.

IMO

• ibeplato
    Original Author
    11 years ago

tiger - it's replacing a Trane T030 - 2.5 ton, it is only for our upstairs, about 1200 feet with a two-story foyer. I'm looking for a system that gives equal, maybe slightly better performance than the old one (the old system struggled on very hot or very cold days. Thanks for the tip.

• ibeplato
    Original Author
    11 years ago

also - the Lennox has two stage electric heater, uses wireless connection with the iComfort thermostat.

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

What size is your strip heat with the two stages KW ?

• ibeplato
    Original Author
    11 years ago

staged 15w heat strip

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

I would say 15KW is too large.

However, how is the heat strip staged- in other words, what size is each stage?

Post back.