Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Correct size flue for Furnace and water Heater?

Posted by mundo (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 24, 10 at 12:48

Hello,

I have a Gas furnace and a Gas water heater that each have a 4" flue pipe from them. These two are then connected into a single 8" pipe that goes up through my chimney. I was told that 8" is too large and it has probably been there for years and no one bothered chnaging it when they installed the new furnace.
Can anyone confirm what size flue I should use to cater for two 4" pipes?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Correct size flue for Furnace and water Heater?

Look in the flue sizing tables in the gas code. Depends on your total BTU output.

o
RE: Correct size flue for Furnace and water Heater?

And since your furnace is 4" it sounds like a fan assist so you should be looking at the NAT + Fan total BTU chart with correct vent connector length and chimney height.

Heres a link why there needed and sizing charts, assuming its gas appliances

http://www.mtlfab.com/media/L1238.pdf

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here