Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mshudson_gw

Tigerdunes, One more time, PLEASE.

mshudson
10 years ago

Ok, Last one... how about this?

STATS- 820 SQ ft.

RHEEM 2 ton gas pack (Model # RRPL B024JKOE)
14 seer
2 ton ductwork
and dampers tranklines
R30
honeywell thermostat #6000

$10,000

Good?

Comments (5)

• ryanhughes
    10 years ago

The model number you have is incomplete and does not specify the heating capacity. Very important to know exactly what you are getting.

I would substitute that model with the RRRL, which I would prefer primarily for its stainless steel heat exchanger (better longevity) as well as two stage operation. 2 ton size does 'seem' appropriate for your application, but I would never install a new system without prior sizing determined by Manual J. Has the dealer performed this important task? Personally I would look at York or Trane for reliable & well-designed gas pack units, but that's my biased opinion base on personal experience. And the last thing you need at this point is more quotes/more information to confuse you.

This post was edited by ryanhughes on Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 15:29

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

mshudson,

Give me as much as possible a complete scope of work to be performed by quoting Rheem dealer. What exactly is included?

New ductwork will be installed in crawlspace? Insulation properties? Any insulation to be added to attic?

Like Ryan I would like to see complete model of package unit quoted. It should be the smallest of the two ton choices available. I agree with Ryan that a st st heat exchanger is preferred. I believe this model has that option available. I would get a quote from a Trane dealer on their XL14c gaspak and XT80 furnace with XR15 or XR16 AC condenser.

You are way past the point of too much information. The Rheem dealer at least seems to be sizing you correctly.

I am unclear though why a package system was recommended.over a split system. Any idea?

IMO

• mshudson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ryan, and Tigerdunes Thank you.

I am about to cry. I just feel so stupid. I am reading your post. asking the questions to the dealers/installers. and each and everyone tells me something different.
    And yes the RHEEM folks did seem to make me a little more comfortable? they explained to me that they are not trying to sell me the 'moon' but a good deal for my size home. they also said they do not get commission, but are on salary. and they would not sell me something just for themselves to make the profit.
    It was also explained to me that TRANE as well as CARRIER are not only harder to work on/ cost more money/ but if service is needed/parts. it is harder to get, not on the shelf. and would need to be special ordered.

Ok, scope of work on this sheet of paper. I may need to get a re-write up because they told me they would put insulation in my attic, but I don't even know?

SCOPE OF WORK:
    NEW AMP DISCONNECT
    CHARGE TO MANUFACTURERS SPECS
    MEET ALL FED, STATE LOCAL LAWS
    REMOVE EXISTING EQUIPMENT
    INSTALL ENERGY SAVING SETBACK THERMOSTAT
    CLEAN WORK AREA
    MEET ALL CODES
    COMPLETE SYSTEM START-UP
    10 YR PARTS WARRANTY
    20 YR HEAT EXCHANGER
    2 YR SERVICE AGREEMENT

2 TON GAS PACK 14 SEER RHEEM
    2 TON DUCT WORK
    DAMPERS TRANLINES
    R30
    RRL- BO24JK0E

I do not know anything about gaspack or split system.
    was told the heatpump is not needed because gas pack is better suited for my needs. have lots of room on that side of the house where unit will be placed.

......... Should I 'ask' them for anything else, or request in writing other?
    I see on this paper there are other things listed, but not checked off as work included.
    I did ask about copper wires.. they said they do not use that for this gas pack. but I do see on this paper that is a option?

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Mshudson

It helps if you will be responsive to questions.

Ductwork will be in crawlspace? Yes or no? R8 insulation for ductwork?

On the Rheem gaspak quoted, you need complete model number. You have not provided that. Should be RRPL B024JK04(E/X)

Insulation will be added both to crawlspace and attic? Yes or no? Should be R30 in attic, R19 in crawlspace or better if code..

I would not buy a gaspak that did not have st st heat exchanger.

Follow my suggestions on the Trane systems, both gaspak and split system.

IMO

• mshudson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

***thank you anyway****

This post was edited by mshudson on Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 1:10

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz