Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rheem Gas Pack Repair

Posted by jrkjrk (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 14, 12 at 12:00

I have an 8 year old Rheem Gas Pack that has a refrigerant leak in the coil. I am being told that the cost to replace the coil is going to cost almost as much as replacing the unit. Does this sound right? I thought Gas Packs typically had a 15-25 year life span.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rheem Gas Pack Repair

You are the original owner?

What was warranty when purchased?

You might consider a second opinion.

Since you are nearing end of cooling season and weather is moderating, you could wait till the Spring to make a decision.

IMO

o
RE: Rheem Gas Pack Repair

jrkjrk,

What you have is a somewhat common failure in rheem/Ruud gas packs.

Coil is very expensive when out of warranty as yours is. But it shouldn't be as much as a new one, but including labor to install probably nearing 1/3 of a new one depending on your area.

8 years old in not that old but you should ask them if you have the stainless steel heat exchangers. If you do not then you will most likely have a hole in them or are about to. Whereas the heat exchanger is under warranty, labor is not, and labor is also high to replace them.

There are a lot of things to consider when you have a failure such as yours. Your company should have went over it more with you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here