Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bryant Evolution 16 or Trane XL15i? XL20i?

Posted by wakko (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 12, 11 at 11:44

just wondering if all is equal and the installation were good for both contractors, what would be the better system to install?

Bryant Evolution 16 or a Trane XL15i or XL20i?

Condenser 286BNA048
Air Handler FE4AN(B,F)005
Aux Heat CE0501N08
Tstat SYS-UI
SEER 16.0
EER 12.6
HSPF 9.1
AHRI #3749068

XL20i with tam7 air handler
Condenser 4TWZ0048E1
Air Handler TAM7A0A48
Aux Heat BAYEVAC10
Tstat XL900
SEER 18
EER 12.5
HSPF 9.5
AHRI # 4385659

I do plan on getting the perfect fit filter, getting them to run a manual J as well as do some weatherization.

Which would save more money over time? or are there better bryant evolution systems? Scroll compressor vs the 2 compressors in Trane's unit? Benefit of either?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bryant Evolution 16 or Trane XL15i? XL20i?

wakko

What is your location?

Both are top end systems.

I really like Trane's XL20i better than the Evolution 16 mainly because of the electronic demand defrost feature.

I do encourage you to get a staged heat strip for aux and backup heat.

Trane's XL 20i has a 50/100 split on low and high stg. The Bryant system has a 66/100 split.

You would be happy with either system.

IMO

o

Austin, TX. Is the 66/100 split more effective? I heard of people trying to downsize equipment, when is it more effective to downsize and any drawbacks? does it just take too long to cool down?

Does anyone have any information on the Bryant 285B Evolution? It's a single stage evolution system that i saw on the AHRI directory.

AHRI 3708086
285BNA042
FE4ANB006+UI
16 SEER
13 EER
9.0 HSPF

o

I not sure what you mean by 'effective'. More effective at saving electricity or more effective at cooling or more effective at humidity removal?

With a 4-ton system, a 50/100 will give you 2 tons of cooling at stage one and 4 tons at stage two. With a 66/100 system you will get 2.67 ton of cooling on stage one.

So the question is how much do you really need. That always depends on the situation (outside temp, sun load, etc) at the time. Eventually the thermostat will determine whether to kick in to stage two if the inside temperature is not coming down quick enough.

o

Wakko

What size are you replacing?

What's the price difference between the sgl stage Evolution and two stg Evolution? Versus the two stg XL20i?

Your question about downsizing is confusing. Cooling and heating loads determine the size you require. I certainly don't won't to be borderline or undersized in your area/summer climate.

IMO

o

Weedmeister - more effective @ cooling. and i guess in the summers it does get up to 100, this summer maybe extreme but it's been in the hundreds for a good 3 months.

it's replacing a 4ton system. I'm not too sure what the difference in price is between the evolution single stage vs 2 stage since i just noticed that system on the ahri website. what would be a good difference to take a single stage?

the xl20i with tam7 is $700 more expensive than the evolution 16 (2 stage)
xl20i $9692
evo 16 2 stage $9087

downsize was based on sometimes after a manual J, the load could still be over compensated just a little bit. I plan on making some improvements made to the house like solar screens. Anyone know how much this helps? And sealing up a 15% leakage in the ducts. (15% leakage was determined in 2009 prior to us buying the house)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here