Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
morgan13_gw

Hmmm, ethics?

morgan13
10 years ago

So I had yet another contractor out yesterday to give a quote on replacing my HVAC system. I told him the ac I have now has been having issues with the blower in the house coming on but not the compressor (which is why I wanted full replacement quotes). Two other guys out for system replacement quotes, looked at the compressor and could find nothing wrong. Well this guy goes out to look at the unit and 2 minutes later comes into the house and says he knows what is wrong and he fixed it (took me out to show me also)....something to do with a wire not connecting completely which explained the "clicking" I was hearing from the unit when I asked the thermostat for cooling....he says also that there is delay that he disabled which could have kept the unit from coming on but the main issue was the wiring and he is confident that is the problem. So after he leaves, I keep testing the unit...clicking on cooling and the compressor snaps on immediately which it was not doing. Sometimes it would take an hour with the blower running to come on (I know, bad). So I had the unit serviced in June and had freon put in because I was told that was why it was not cooling (that company overcharged the system) and I have to wonder if they also messed with the wiring that caused this in the first place. But the guy yesterday basically could have lost thousands of dollars by "fixing" my old system....I was awed that he did that. And while his system replacement quote was not the lowest, his integrity could get him the job in the future....only problem is he sells Goodman....arrrrg.....so is it better to have an honest, reputable contractor installing a "not the best" system.....or a contractor I don't feel as good about based on questions they did not ask when at my home (like, "can I see the ducting") but they install Trane products. And would you go with full replacement when the system now seems to be working....money is an issue as I was taking out a loan to be able to get the work done....and I also need a new roof so it was one or the other.

Comments (8)

• morgan13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And I sent email to the contractor last night who "fixed" the system and he just replied back to me, "I definitely wouldn't change that system out if it was mine, but the first time it costs $400 or more in repairs I'd consider doing the replacement. Both the furnace and AC are pretty much 50/50 on whether it will last, but I do suspect you'll have 5 relatively trouble free years"

Does anyone else find this guy outside the norm...I am not finding this kind of integrity with other companies I have had out.

• veesubotee
    10 years ago

HOLD ONTO HIM: HE'S A KEEPER.

When the time comes for a replacement, more likely he will take the time to do the job right, i.e., take ALL of the necessary steps to insure a good installation.

The quoted price reflects the effort he will put into the job.

V

• morgan13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OMG, and the second contractor that came yesterday has an expired license and issues with BBB because he won't take his claim off his website that he is acredited....and this would explain why the quote I was given was so low, as it did not include any permits or testing...wow! So I assume an unlicensed contractor can not apply for permits or else he gets found and caught?

• mike_home
    10 years ago

It would depend if your building code official checks to see if the license is still valid.

Expired license usually means no insurance. You don't want this liability in case something goes wrong.

• morgan13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yep, no insurance bond, no worker's comp and mention of civil action that needs to be resolved....no recourse for me should something go wrong, so that one is out....plus if I sell the house without permits in CA....have to disclose and then the whole job would be in question and we would probably have to pay to have it tested and permitted. Not worth the cheaper pricing for the potential hassle.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

Hold onto your good guy. Maybe in 3-5 yrs, he'll be installing a system you like. Or, maybe he knows something about goodman v trane others do not.

Start saving for your new system, but don't replace it now.
    Good luck!

• energy_rater_la
    10 years ago

I rank a good install over a name brand system.
    every 'major' brand has a 'sister' company.
    trane...american standard etc.

lots of good equipment that doesn't carry
    best known brands. lots of brand bashing between
    hvac companies & the general public.

best of luck.

• klem1
    10 years ago

Where are those that rush to defend contractor's repitation while charging labor @ $300+ per hour and 500% markup on material when someone here complains? I have followed you in other threads about the ordeal. I'm happy hearing your presistance payed off. Good on you for refusing to buy all thier bs. Any licensed contractor in my area can buy Trane. Like any manufacture,your warranty is sometimes only good as the installer or contractor doing repairs that qulify for warranty.