Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susan64_gw

4 yr old Carrier Infinity needs 2nd compressor replaced

susan64
10 years ago

On the Texas Gulf Coast, I have a 4yr old home built in a new metal 2100 sq ft building, 1300 a/c. 10' ceilings r 39 blown insulation, 8' entry Low E entry and patio doors, concrete floors. I'm needing a second 3 ton 2 speed compressor replaced. Wow $1600 in labor in 4 years.
Different dealer says I should go with a single speed unit.
Where did I go wrong? Any help would be appreciated. Susan

Comments (6)

• jackfre
    10 years ago

I think I'd be on the horn to Carrier tech directly to get likely causes of a second failure. It could have been shoddy work right from the start. Poor evacuation and then after the first unit failed, improper procedure to clean up the residue/junk in the system which led to another failure. Kinked line set perhaps? Carrier makes good gear.

It is not uncommon for the local Carrier Distributor to have a very good tech or two on staff. They do not do repairs, but are there as support. After two failures I think I'd push pretty hard to have a site visit with someone other than or in addition to the contractor. I would not allow the second replacement by the same guy without at least getting other eyes on the system. I think I'd raise hell with Carrier and get their support on this.

• klem1
    10 years ago

jackfire covered it. You need Carrier in on this. Try to get thier conclusion in writing,it could be helpful in getting some money back from origional and/or secound contractor.

• ryanhughes
    10 years ago

I am guessing this was one of the Infinity models with the Bristol TS 2-stage compressor (models starting with 24ana7 or 25hna6). If so, this model proved to be problematic for Carrier with widespread failures, and they created a program for consumers to either replace the entire unit or the compressor alone (through Carrier) in response to these issues. I do not know whether the program is still in effect today. But as others have mentioned, if this is the case, I would be pursuing the issue further with Carrier and your dealer to replace this unit with a 2-stage scroll compressor model. For 2 compressors to fail in such a short time span, there may well be installation/service related issues at play here as well. Best of luck.

This post was edited by ryanhughes on Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 13:54

• susan64
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for your input. I asked the authorized dealer that we purchased it from when the tech came out and gave me the bad news , or told him that we needed to get a Carrier Regional Rep. out, he just said good luck, if you do get him out, you'll probably be on a long waiting list.
    I did have another service tech out, and he told me that since the dealer did not register this unit with Carrier, the warranty is only for 5 years,#*^%#$$$, I guess I'm pretty upset now since if I do replace the compressor, I only have 1 more year warranty left.
    When they installed the system, we only have Propane for the Heater, well they never put the nat. to propane orifices in, which caused a loud noise, like a BOOM every time it fired up. I had to threaten him with a legal letter to finally get someone out to do the right thing. Really makes me think the Tech. didn't know much about anything.
    A/c does have the model # 24NANA1, or 7.
    Thanks again for your help and letting me ramble on.

• mike_home
    10 years ago

Susan,

After reading your second post I am of the opinion your HVAC installer's poor installation practices has caused two compressors to fail within four years. Not registering the equipment for the warranty and not installing a the propane conversion kit are unacceptable. I question if he knows what he is doing and whether he is even authorized to install Carrier equipment.

I also have 4 year old Carrier 24ANA7 condensers. So far I have had no problems. Fortunately I have a Carrier 10 year parts and labor warranty in the event there is a problem.

I hope this works out well for you.

This post was edited by mike_home on Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 10:46

• minebushwacker1
    10 years ago

You need to google for DSB11-0025a. This is a Carrier/Bryant dealer letter explaining the replacement program for these Bristol compressors. Depending on what area you live in they had varying rates of failures and in some area many failures with these compressors. They are an exceptional unit with the Copeland scroll compressor, but no so good with the Bristol.