Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtvhike

Cold climate heat pump

mtvhike
9 years ago

I am planning to use in-floor radiant heat with the fluid electrically heated in my planned northern NY house{{gwi:807}}. It has been suggested to me that I should consider a cold climate heat pump, such as those manufactured by Mitsubishi or Fujitsu. I looked up these mfrs' products on the web{{gwi:807}}
and they do have products usable down to -15F. I understand that these will be much less expensive than resistance heating, although resistance heating will still be neaded as a backup. Negatives of these mini splits - they are ugly, both inside and outside (in my opinion) and the outside unit may possibly be noisy (I have heard the inside units and they are not too bad, but I can hear them).
Does anyone make a heat pump{{gwi:807}} with the efficiencies of the above mini splits, but which can heat the fluid for my radiant system? I have looked into heat pump domestic hot water heaters, but their "outside" unit is in the basement and they are not designed for cold weather.

What do these mini-splits cost? I estimate my heating load will be about 10000-15000 BTU/hr.
Any commets?

This post was edited by MTVhike on Sat, Sep 13, 14 at 17:03

Comments (2)

• fsq4cw
    9 years ago

The âÂÂbestâ air-sourceâ air-to-air cold temperature heat pump is the Carrier Infinity Greenspeed. However, from what youâÂÂre describing your best choice would be a geothermal Liquid-to-Liquid or DX-to-Liquid geothermal heat pump. Triple function if you want both forced air heating & A/C plus hydronic heating.

IMO

SR

• mtvhike
    Original Author
    9 years ago

fsq, the geothermal devices you refer to, are they "air sourced", or ground water sourced? I think ground water sourced is quite expensive.
    I don't want either forced air heating or A/C (hydronic heating only). Can you provide manufacturers for the liquid-to-liquid or DX-to-Liquid devices? (what is DX?)