Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mshudson_gw

me again, RHEEM??

mshudson
10 years ago

Hi everyone, again.
I am still trying to find a dealer/installer. heating system.

I have decided to let the air conditioner go for now. so my focus is going to be for gas heat only. (new ducts, and insulation.)

Again, I am lost. is RHEEM a good reliable, trouble product to go with?

and if so, which one?

my stats:
Atlanta Ga
820 sq foot home.
2 bed room 2 bath.
Bad humidity.

Should I go attic? or keep in crawl space?
ALSO. is there any specifics I should ask about/insist on?
Thermostat? and 1 stage or 2 stage?

I am sorry I keep asking, but I am getting sooooo many quotes, price ranges and so on.
I am completely confused.

in other words.
Carrier, rheem, or trane. (gas heating only) as before I will get air conditioner later. (Long story)
PLEASE HELP ME.
thank you in advance.

Comments (3)

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

I don't mean to sound harsh but it must be said. You are a very conflicted homeowner. It's bad enough to receive good advice on this forum but even worse not to put this good advice into action.

Rheem is a good brand depending on models and being sized correctly. Same could be said of other brands as well.

It would be a mistake not adding AC at the time of installing a new furnace. I stand by my previous advice on the Trane system I suggested.

When do you think you will get a new install? At this pace maybe next spring?

The HVAC community is relatively small even for Atlanta. Word usually gets out about potential problem customers.

Good Luck!
    You need it.

• mshudson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, thank you.

I suppose if the hvac folks who are coming to my home would tell me what is what, and do what I think would be appropriate like measuring my home and windows and such I would not be so hesitant.

One company tells me one thing, and another tells me another.
    seems nobody is on the same page. as with any other consumer I wanted to compare units/prices. and the gap is so big it makes me think something is not right.

as I said, I have been told I need a 3 ton, and a guy told me last friday I needed a 4 ton! also told me that I do not need insulation? and as it is, I have no insulation! I know enough to know I DO need to insulate the attic.

I'm sorry for being a bugger.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

You are a victim of TMI, too much information some very bad. Your fault though.

I have said all I am going to say on equipment/selection. Proper sizing is important. Small furnace and probably a 2 ton condenser.

Now to insulation and ductwork system.

I prefer ductwork in the crawlspace as long as it has easy access, deep enough and is dry not prone to water issues. One central return should be adequate for size of home plus properly sized supply to each room. R8 insulation for ductwork system, mastic sealed. I like metal trunk lines, flex OK for individual runs.

You need insulation for the attic and crawlspace. I would check to see what's code from your governing authority. Minimum R19 in crawlspace, R30 or better in attic. You need good ventilation and air exchange for attic. Ridge vents along roof line are excellent.

You don't get insulation advice from an HVAC dealer or vice versa. Call an insulation dealer for advice. For your area/climate, I would be less concerned about external wall insulation compared to attic and crawlspace. See what contractor says though.

IMO

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional