Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deb52899

New furnace and a/c

Debbi Branka
11 years ago

We are getting a new furnace and a/c (replacing existing). Here is the info. Comments or warnings? Thanks!

Amana AMVC95905CXA furnace

Amana 4 Ton Coil CAPF4844C6

Amana 14 Seer Ai ASX140481A

Comes with 5 year parts & labor; 5 year extra on parts; lifetime on heat exchanger.

Comments (8)

• elaineycabaney
    11 years ago

So that is 5 years on labor; 10 year (limited) on parts; lifetime on heat exchanger?

It is difficult to assess without more info like:
    square footage of house
    1, 2, or 3 story
    type of windows
    age of house

I went to loadcalc.net (tip I found on another users thread) to determine the load calculation of my house...a floor/window plan with measurements is very helpful to provide the right info for this calculations. You'll need the window measurements as well as ceiling height)

That's as far as my knowledge goes and am still hoping for suggestions with mine. I hope this help to get you on your way.

PS: I am getting a third estimate tomorrow.

• Debbi Branka
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info elaine. Sorry for the incomplete info on my end. Here's the answers to your questions:

2000 sq feet
    2 stories and basement
    Detroit, MI area
    Attic and walls are well insulated; no crawlspace
    Crappy windows (23 of them) but we are replacing with fiberglass in the next month
    House was built in 1999

• stoveguyy
    11 years ago

99 vintage and time for new hvac? So much is said about poor new construction. U have fairly new house and are changing hvac and windows? Whew.

• mike_home
    11 years ago

That's why some materials are labled as "builder's grade". They are designed to look nice and last until the builder's warranty expires.

• Debbi Branka
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't even know what the builder's warranty was, but the builder is long out of business and gone. We discovered that 2 years ago when the kitchen cabinets fell off the wall. The windows don't leak (surprisingly), but they are double pane glass and all rusted in between. The half moon has condensation between the glass and the front casements are smeary with I don't know what. It's like smeary in the glass because it won't clean.

The a/c started running constantly just recently. It takes about 6-8 hours to cool off 4 degrees and the blower is about to die on the furnace.

We're getting a new roof too. Woo hoo! About 1/2 of our sub has replaced roofs and windows so far. Not sure about furnace and a/c.

• joe_mn
    11 years ago

What's a sub?

• Debbi Branka
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Joe - subdivision.

• joe_mn
    11 years ago

I do not ask friends about their age of equipment but replacing hvac after 13yrs just bites. I seriously do not know anyone who has gone thru such a short lived install. Maybe MN systems are better built? Haha

Sponsored
Jennifer Gilmer Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Team | 11x Best of Houzz