Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crabjoe

What do I need to convert to a dual fuel setup?

crabjoe
9 years ago

I currently have a propane furnace and 3.5 ton AC. Both 10 years old York units. Recently, my AC has been acting up.. Low on R22, causing the coil to freeze over. I thawed and refilled, but now my compressor is making some crazy squealing sounds, on and off....

With that said, I think it's time to replace the outside unit, and if I'm going to replace, I figure might was well get a heat pump and switch to a dual fuel setup.... Dang propane costs kill me during the winter months, here in MD.

AFAIK, I will need a new thermostate (Honeywell Prestige IAQ w/outdoor stat), a new 3.5 Ton heat pump and evap coil.

So the question is, is there anything I'm missing? I want to go with 410A, not a dry R22 system... and being that my furnace doesn't have a variable fan, at least I don't think so, I can't go with a 2 stage heat pump.. whatever that is... Does this all sound right?

Is there anything I need to look for? Does anyone have any suggestions on brands/units that might cause me the least amount of issues, when I go to do the install? I've got a buddy helping me, but he's never done a dual fuel setup.. My other HVAC buddy has been out of the business for about 10 years now... so not much help there.

Thanks!!

Comments (5)