Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dannyboyy_gw

need new heat pump system in coastal area

dannyboyy
9 years ago

Contractor is recommending the Carrier coastal 3 ton heat pump w/ the FX4 air handler as the best and most reasonable option for my 1 level aprox 2500 sf home. he also carries Trane and says that he was a Trane believer until 2 yrs ago. he will sell me a Trane, but he recommends the Carrier unit for about $5400. It is the Comfort 13 HP w/ a SEER of 14.5. Is this a good unit and deal and should I also consider the extended warranty for another $1500. I was leaning toward Trane because my neighbor got one 2 yrs ago, but his contractor does not even carry Trane anymore, he went to Tempstar units now. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

Comments (15)

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Location please...

And complete model numbers for Carrier system.

Still believe Trane/AmStd are superior to Carrier for coastal environments.

IMO

• dannyboyy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Model 25HBB3C This # is on the broshure. He said it was 14.5 seer.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

And location?

• dannyboyy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

atlantic beach, nc

• sktn77a
    9 years ago

That's a high price for the system and an awful price for an extended warranty (should be half that, unless it includes 10 years of annual maintenance). Carrier has a no-cost 10 year parts warranty on all its equipment but no longer offers manufacturer-backed extended labor warranties. The dealer should give a 1 year labor warranty and appears to be offering you a 10 year third party extended labor warranty for the $1500. Bear in mind, HVAC dealers come and go so if you pay up-front for an "extended warranty" make sure its with a company that has a long business history and has a high probability of staying in business.

If you go for the Carrier equipment, get the FV4CNF005L air handler. At the coast, it has better dehumidification performance. Also make sure the L suffix (the new aluminum coil).

• dannyboyy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Carrier Coastal System

25HBB336C003 OUTDOOR UNIT

FX4DNF037T00 AIR HANDLER

CE0901N10 HEATER

Thanks for your advice SKTN77

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

This appears to be the AHRI HP matching number.

Average performance/efficiency numbers.

6938002 Active Systems CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING COMFORT SERIES PURON HP CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING 25HBB336C31 FX4DN(B,F)037L 1200 35200 12.00 14.50 35000 8.50 21800 1 HRCU-A-CB 301 818

Pay attention. You want the L suffix on the air handler model number for aluminum coil.

Still believe Trane or AmStd is a better choice for coastal environment.

IMO

• dannyboyy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Would I be better off going with the FV4CNF005L variable speed air handler? Matched up with the 25HBB336C003. Thanks, Dan

• zippity1
    9 years ago

our new home, south of houston, tx has a Tempstar, which we had never heard of- we won't be moving there until next week
    the builder assured us that tempstar was "an excellent choice" --as if we had one??)
    our neighbor in Houston owns a HVAC company in houston reassures us that we'll be happy with a tempstar-he's thinking of picking up that line himself he uses American Standard now
    hope these guys know what they're talking about.....

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

for dannyboy

Yes a nicer system.with the var speed air handler. Make certain you get the Edge Thermidistat. I would think an 8-10 KW heat strip.

6938000 Active Systems CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING COMFORT SERIES PURON HP CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING 25HBB336C31 FV4CN(B,F)005L 1050 35400 12.00 15.00 34200 9.00 21400 1 HRCU-A-CB 293 772

Still prefer Trane/AmStd for coastal environments.

IMO

• jackfre
    9 years ago

Aftermarket warranties give me heartburn. Manuf do not like to provide the factory ext warranty. Because they have to carry those liabilities on their books, hence the aftermarket type. If you go with one, I'd push very hard on price reduction on the warranty, once all other costs have been settled. It is a separate transaction, in my mind.

In my experience Warranty companies are good for about 10 years. They sell a lot of product and once the payments become to much they go belly up. Research it carefully..

• ryanvu1
    9 years ago

Hey tigerdunes, which model or series of Amstd or Trane condenser units would be best for the original poster? Having trouble finding the "coastal" units that these companies make. I would be interested in "heat pump" models rather than straight cool. Thanks

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

It's bad forum etiquette to piggyback onto another person's thread.

However, Trane coils are designed with material that fights harsh coastal environments more so than other brands. For most applications, there is nothing that needs to be added. However, at one time they did offer an add on protective shield. Not certain it is still available and not sure I would recommend it. Why?. Not necessary.

IMO

• fsanto
    9 years ago

Which is the best model 15 seer heat pump for price and efficiency .

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

For above poster...start your own thread...go to bottom of home page...size?

TD