Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
painting metal heat ducts

Posted by halley_rose (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 18, 11 at 8:10

Don't know where to post this for sure, so if I posted this in the wrong forum sorry.
I just bought a new house and the basement, isn't finished. We wired it,and sheetrocked it. On the ceiling there is some ugly metal heat ducts. Not sure how warm they get. They run almost the entire length of the ceiling. We want to spray paint them, with Rust-Olem American Accents stonetextured finish. It's $8.00 and we bought 5 cans to start with. It'll probably take that many more. My questions are it says it's for metal, but how will it stand up to any heat? Can we prime it with any cheap primer for metal, before we put on the expensive paint?
Thanks in advance for your help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: painting metal heat ducts

Are the ducts galvanized steel or foil wrapped 'glass?

Either can be painted; temperatures won't be high enough to affect the paint.

But if they are aluminum foil wrapped the job may be short lived.

o
RE: painting metal heat ducts

This should go to the paint forum. Galvanized will probably need special treatment. I would do it with a brush because it will cost less and you can put down drop cloth instead of trying to mask off whatever is around the ducts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here