Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydro Air with Wood Pellet Boiler

Posted by BelfastBound (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 7:42

The budget for our new construction in Maine just came in 150K over what we have to spend and everything is on the chopping block except that we want a pellet boiler. Radiant heat is out (though still yearn for it in master bed and bath) We hear Hydro Air is a great technology. Can not find a contractor in Maine who has hooked up that system to a wood boiler. We want some type of A/C - window units not ok due to casements.

House faces south where there are wall to wall windows. 3400 sf consisting of lower level: 2 bedrooms, bath, media room, main level with 1 master suite, loft is 800 sf.

Hope you will share your opinions and experiences with us. Thank you in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydro Air with Wood Pellet Boiler

Belfast is a great spot. I covered Maine in my business for 25 yrs. personally, I am not a fan of pellets. My view is if I am going to burn wood and I'm in a jam, I want to be able to burn the furniture if necessary. With pellets you have to have special fuel and electricity. That said, you will be looking at a large hopper of pellets on your stoker fed unit.

As to hydro-Aire, I am certain that you will be better of with a mini-split heat pump system and forego the duct work completely. If you go with ductwork, put it in your contract that you will not pay for the system unless it passes a pressure test. Google "DOE duct leakage" for some info. The mshp will be your primary heat in the shoulder seasons and your pellet mill will not have to run other than Dec, Jan & Feb. I'd go with low temp "panel rads" for the heat off the pellet. That is a system that your Maine heat guys can handle with ease. The mshp will provide excellent de-hu and cooling very efficiently.

Maine has been the biggest market in the US for the Rinnai Energysaver. I've heated my homes with them for over 20 yrs. That said, I represented both Rinnai and Fujitsu in my business, so bias noted. When we moved west a couple yrs ago, I tore out all the terrible leaky ductwork and heat and cool with Rinnai's and Fujitsu.

Oh, one other thing on the pellet unit. As a part of the purchase of the unit I would find out the primary service parts for the unit and get them into a cabinet in the mechanical room so you are not waiting for some part that hasn't arrived from Sweden, or wherever your unit is produced.

I miss Maine. Great country! Great people!

o
RE: Hydro Air with Wood Pellet Boiler

Jackfre Thx for such an in depth response chock full of stuff to do. Maine energy systems just gave us a $5,000 rebate on the pellet boiler and guarantees the pellet price for 3 years. Those mini splits are hugely popular now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here