Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need new A/C head swimming!

Posted by jockewing (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 7:34

My evaporator coil on my 13 year old Trane system is leaking badly. It would cost at least $1,500 to replace the coil, so it seems like I might as well change out the system considering the age of the unit.

Got a quote for Trane XB13 with Hyperion Air Handler including plenum, drain line, start collar, and drain pan replacement for $5,700.

Got a quote for a Heil 13 SEER unit (similar grade to the Trane) with pretty much the same everything else for about $4,500.

I had never really heard of Heil before. I was actually kind of shocked at the prices. The mid range Trane unit the first company quoted was upwards of $8 grand! My house is only 1300 sq feet for goodness sake! Am I being unrealistic? I am going to try to get at least one more quote today, but it's hard with work and the fact that I need to get the AC working so I can get back in my house ASAP. I cant stay there right now in 90 degree heat and 95% humidity.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need new A/C head swimming!

To understand, this is a HP system or straight AC?

What size system do you have now?

Your general location? Coastal or inland?

It would be nice to see all complete model numbers for both Trane and Heil quotes. XB13 is low end Trane.

Post back.
IMO

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here