Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lnia

HVAC vent near deck- problem?

lynn
10 years ago

Hello,

It was mentioned to me by HVAC contractor that the HVAC vent (cone pictured) may cause damage to the deck we are looking to build. The deck would be of composite wood. Would you agree? We may have the option to move the vent so it is below the deck boards but not sure if this makes the issue worse.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
THanks!

Comments (6)

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

The deck will be to the right of the concentric vent and downspout? What type of composite wood? Looks like a Trane vent just like mine. I wouldn't be concerned.

IMO

• klem1
    10 years ago

It might be anoying when the vent comes on but certainly don't believe the deck will be harmed. The vent will not be operating during warm weather when deck is most often used. Worst case might be condensation collecting during cold weather but that will happen anyhow when there is morning dew.

• weedmeister
    10 years ago

would there be any code restrictions as to the distance from the deck as there are for the distance to a window? Note that this is a gas exhaust vent.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

I have to admit I would be less concerned about any code restrictions for something like this. I just don't see how this would be a problem. The govt has bigger problems to handle than this.

IMO

• Tinmantu
    10 years ago

If you have the installation manual for the furnace, it should have specs on location of the vent in relation to windows. I believe you are fine.

• jackfre
    10 years ago

There are specific clearance dimensions above, below, side, opposing structure, to inside and outside corners (which may get you if you are going to project past the vent termination) in the installation manual. It appears that it is a direct vent. The "option" of venting below is not good due to the potential for recirculating exhaust gases back to the furnace. The "below" clearance is 36" in the DV I'm most familiar with