Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
totsie_gw

Alum or tin coil?

Totsie
11 years ago

Finally decided on the Carrier 3 Ton -AHRI 3636432....If I could offer 1piece of advice is to get a AHRI print it out met installers at the truck and visually check the equipment number from the get go... Wrong coil on truck then 3hours later finally came up with coil number CNPV*. 3717 ALA instead of the 3717 ATA number that was quoted... Install mgr states the ata was for tin coil but ala coil is aluminum and that the AHRI set up is correct using the aluminum coil.. What are your thoughts on this statement ? not happy with installers -they stated they did NOT know change various coils, or heater, condenser changed the SEER or EER of a system (really) is that normal ? I requested a NATE certified tech to come out...should I be concerned ?thanks for input you guys always so helpful :)

Comments (7)

• mike_home
    11 years ago

The ATA is a tin plated copper coil. Carrier refers to the plating as "Armour Coat". It is supposed to be Carrier's most reliable coil. Both coils have a 10 year parts warranty. The tin plated coil has been recommended on this forum. My contractor installed ATA coils for my Carrier systems.

• Totsie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Had the above carrier system installed yesterday ...OMG the installer was a best just at of high school...3new returns installed , original wall returns disconnected ..1return makes buzzing sound-1 original air vent makes some noise.. But I am concerned about the infinity thermostat set up.. They didn't even set date or time- I research how to bring up set up mode looks like the heater name is there.. But on ac it said 1 stage-then it looked like it was going to run a check so I was afraid to mess it up so I exited the system...I am not confident they were competent to set it up seems all to smooth.. But heater NOT SET Up has a new vent pipe needed to be installed and it raining... Will come back to install- do they start up the heater as well to verify all is right ???what questions do I need to ask... This has not gone smoothly at all- contractor explains everything is digital and told them exactly what the problems were..however not any adjustment needed..good install(he states) PLEASE HELP!!!!

• mike_home
    11 years ago

There is no excuse as to why the Infinity controller has not been set up properly. The date and time needs to be set up otherwise you will never be able to set up the four daily temperature periods. The contractor has the ability to run diagnostic tests. He can enter their name and address so it pops up when there a service problem.

The controller should automatically recognize the furnace and condenser. Have them show you how to operate controller. This is a very good thermostat once it is set up properly.

• Totsie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I agree... But what questions should I ask to see on the thermostat myself to be assured it is running in the correct mode i.e I believe I saw 1 stage Ac selected as the setup for system . i was sold a two stage system and also does it not suppose to show u the static pressure reading???
    Thanks so much for the help...

• mike_home
    11 years ago

You can check these items yourself. You can enter the service menu by holding down the advanced button for 10 seconds. You will see a list of menus. You will find the information you want. Be careful not to change anything.

If you do a Google search you should be able to find the Infinity controller installation manual. It describes the various set up options.

• Totsie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks mike home, but should my thermostat be set up on 2 stage for my ac ?

• mike_home
    11 years ago

If you have the Performance 24ABC7 condenser, then yes the Infinity controller should be set up as 2-stage AC. You should see the AC model number listed in the set up menu. If not, then the controller may not be communicating to the condenser.

You have listed several issues in your threads. Has the contractor returned to correct the problems?