Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I get rid of Mold?

Posted by westcanadian01 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 19, 11 at 3:45

There are a number of ways how to get rid of mold in your home.

Hydrochloric Acid (HCl), also known as Muriatic Acid, is effective for removing mold on hard surfaces such as bathroom or kitchen tiles. Mix water and HCl in equal amounts and apply to the area that needs to be cleaned. Scrub the mold off with an old toothbrush or cleaning brush. Warnings for HCl include chemical burns on your hands, and irritation to your eyes and nose. Always use a mask and rubber gloves to protect your skin, eyes, and nose. HCl should be kept well out of reach of children and you should use it with great caution.
Bleach water is a safer alternative to HCl. Mix bleach and water in equal amounts and follow the above steps. Use gloves and a mask for bleach since it can also cause irritation to your skin, eyes and nose. Personally I find HCl is more effective and less tedious, but bleach carries less risk of irritation.

Baking soda and vinegar is one of the safest method. Mix baking soda and vinegar in equal amounts, and apply with an old toothbrush to scrub off the mold. This method is best for use on wooden areas since the paste clings to the surface.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I get rid of Mold?

eliminating the moisture source
is the first step.

otherwise you just keep cleaning
the symptom and never address the problem.

mold needs moisture and a food source.

this can be the paper on a fg batt, the backing
of sheetrock..2x, lots of things.

clean, replace or remediate the food source
after stopping moisture source.

put things back together.

o

I have a mold problem as well in the heating/ac system. Is mold in your humidifier of your heating system a serious problem? How do you remedy? Thank you.

o

honestly, you never get rid of mold, you only rid the most visible parts and THEN you lower humidity, increase air flow, and cross your fingers hoping that the in-wall mold is not growing stronger all the time. You cannot reduce the quantity of mold food because it is all the paper on both sides of your drywall, and a whole lot more.

o

Hi guys, thanks for the added infos.. =)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here