Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
5 ton Unit 4 ton A coil

Posted by iggie (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 30, 12 at 1:22

At the local hvac tech coffee stop there was quite a discussion going on. One of the group was going to install a 5 ton Trane unit to replace a 4 ton unit where compressor had failed. There were varying opinions, the general consensus was if he is careful and charges system correctly he can use the 4 ton A coil without problems. I disagreed but got little support anytime I have encountered a mismatched setup like this, there has been nothing but problems.Whats the genral take on such a set from the experts out there ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 5 ton Unit 4 ton A coil

I would want a system that was an AHRI match. If not, wouldn't have it or install it.

Now there are matches using a smaller coil to a larger condenser. Generally better dehumidification but not as good efficiency.

Like most things, not a black and white situation. Depends.

I want that AHRI match though.

IMO

o

what tigerdunes said
x2

o

Tiger I feel exactly the same way, the guy doing the install says he is going to use either 427-A or R 421 A says they are so mucm more effecient than R22 that he can easily compensate for any equiptment mismatch. I agree this is kinda of grey area and there are no pat answers. Thanks again for the post. Iggie

o

This sounds like a potential disaster. I would love to hear how well or poorly this works after the job is completed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here