Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
13 seer single stage vs 15 seer 2-stage?

Posted by lantimes (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 21, 11 at 1:21

Hi,

I have a Rheem 90% efficient gas furnace (13 seer?) and am looking at HVAC contractors to replace my AC indoor coil and outdoor condenser unit.

I also have two zones in our home so this AC unit would be for the main/lower level. The upper level has a Carrier Infinity heat pump, so that should take some of the humidity from the lower level. Humidity isn't really a problem and is not that big a factor.

So I have narrowed my search to a Carrier comfort series single-stage system (3 ton/13 seer) but am wondering if I should go with the Carrier infinity dual-stage (3 ton/15 seer) system in lieu of the comfort system. Would the 13 seer be better off since there wouldn't be any efficiency improvement due to the 13 seer limitation of the gas furnace?

Or did I get misleading info from the HVAC contractor? Any advice/thoughts appreciated!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 13 seer single stage vs 15 seer 2-stage?

If your not replacing your indoor unit, getting the 2-stage outdoor unit won't provide any savings since the furnace won't be able to switch to lower fan speed for the lower of the 2 stages of the outdoor unit. I would go with the 14/15 seer single stage outdoor unit with new coil with txv if your not replacing indoor unit.

Your new a/c will be a heatpump right? What part of the country are you in and what is the electricity rate?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here