Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Savings between 14.5 and 16 SEER ratings

Posted by jham65 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 1, 11 at 1:01

Is there any rule of thumb or calculation for determining the payback of different SEER ratings on AC units?

I am deciding between a 14.5 SEER and a 16 SEER central air unit. After tax credit it is a price difference of $300 ($600-$300 tax credit).

I live in So. Cal. and my average electricity cost comes out to be about $0.19/ kwh. I only use the AC about 10 days per month during the 4 summer months.

So is it worth $300 to get the higher efficiency unit?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Savings between 14.5 and 16 SEER ratings

Although the payback time might be a long time, $300 isn't a very expensive upgrade cost. Its often nice to have nicer equipment of higher efficiency equipment.

o

Usually higher efficiency condenser incorporate additional features which made improve comfort and reliability.

Depending on your installation and equipment you may very additional savings by moving up to a 16 SEER unit.

Do you have the model numbers of the equipment you are considering?

o

Thanks for the feedback. The condensor unit is the same for both options: Bryant 116BMA048, but the efficiency boost comes with a different furnace: either the 310JAV090048 or the variable speed fan on the 313JAV090048.

I'm leaning toward the higher efficiency unit.

o

A fixed speed blower will always run at the same speed regardless of the static pressure. But a variable speed blower will increase the RPMs in order to maintain a constant air flow. If you have a duct work issues or a dirty filter, the amount of energy used by the variable speed blower could be more than the fixed speed. This will subtract from your energy savings.

I personally would get the variable speed furnance for the extra $300.

o

Very good point. I'll be sure to keep things clean and clear.

16 SEER unit it is-just committed and it will be installed tomorrow.

o

good, the vs will make a lot of difference in comfort.

best of luck.

o

you can find a download spread sheet calculator at
http://www.aceee.org/consumer/cooling

about 1/2 way down the page.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here