Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynnintex

Replace evaporator coil or whole air handler?

LynnInTex
9 years ago

I came back from a week long trip a few days ago to find my ac had stopped putting out cold air. After calling two repairmen, both said there was a leak in the evaporator coil that was unrepairable. The first suggested replacing the entire unit (air handler and outside heat pump) with a 5 ton Carrier Comfort 15 seer and handler FX4DNB061T for $6900. That's way more than I'm willing to pay. The second repairman recommended us to replace coil, blower motor and fan motor at around 3000 or both units for 6300 (Trane XB13 5ton 13 seer and I assume matching lowest priced handler).

I've called around and been quoted in the 1700-1800 range to replace coil only and 2500 for the entire handler but no one has given me the exact model # for it. A few others said $5600 for the same units as the second repairman (Trane XB13 and handler). My original system is a Trane XE1200 5 ton 12 seer model twp060d100a0 made in 2000 with handler twe063p130b0. Which new Trane handler would be the best match for my outside heat pump and what price should I expect? Should I just replace the coil? I'm in central Texas. Thanks

Comments (2)