Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
victorkl_gw

feedback on quote for Carrier A/C

victorkl
11 years ago

I got a quote for Carrier Performance 16 4 ton A/C (4ACC648A003) at $3000, plus an upflow evaporator C48A210C156 for $800.

line set is $400, electrical wiring, breakers, disconnect, GFCI for $600.

Plus labor to install is $1800 (installation involves placing A/C on flat roof, adding evaporator to existing carrier gas furnace, running line and electrical from garage to the roof).

are these numbers reasonable?

Thanks!!!

Comments (10)

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

What mdl furnace do you have now? It has a var speed blower? You are replacing a 4 ton condenser with a 4 ton condenser?

How are you filtering your return air?

Post back.

IMO

• victorkl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have no A/C now. No filtering. The furnace is 58cvx090 - it has variable speed blower.

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

Assuming you are sized correctly which is very important, that furnace should be fine with that mdl condenser. I would dbl check and make certain the furnace has a 4 ton rated blower.

Not certain but that evap coil quoted appears to be a third party brand. I would not have it and would insist on a matching Carrier brand tin plated.

What thermostat do you have now? Hope it's the Infinity mdl.

And finally depending on your location and electric rates, you might want to see if you can leverage electric versus nat gas with a HP model.

Sorry to throw this back to you. I feel that an informed homeowner can make the best decision given facts and options worthy of consideration.

IMO

• victorkl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I did check that blower is rated for 4ton at high speed.

I did an analysis of HP cost per BTU, and it was almost twice as much as with my furnace, even though the furnace is only 85%, and in my calculation I adjusted heat pump HSPF from 8.3 to 9.7 based my locale - San Francisco peninsula.
    This is using $1.37 per therm and 31 cents per KWh.

I don't have Infinity termostat.

My biggest concern was that cost of components seems high.
    Simply googling for the model number I saw one place selling the same condenser for $2000, and another for $2500, though these dealers were in other states. Is it reasonable for my dealer to charge that much more, just because we're in California? Is the cost of installation ($1800) reasonable?
    I got another bid for Lennox system that came at $5000 total for a 3ton unit, but that installer does not seem as thorough, and Lennox does not seem as good a choice to me in terms of reliability, still I wonder if paying $8500 for 4ton Carrier is worth the extra cost.

• SaltiDawg
    11 years ago

Is this electric rate correct?

"This is using $1.37 per therm and 31 cents per KWh."

The link following suggests about 22 cents per Kwh.

Here is a link that might be useful: SF CPI

• victorkl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I quoted the numbers from my utility bills.
    There are actually three tiers.
    since in winter my usage triggers the third tier pricing for both gas and electricity, I used the third tier prices in my calculations.

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

Forget the HP since you live in Ca San Fran area.

I see nothing wrong with pricing but remain concerned about that evap coil mdl/brand. Beware!

What is your thermostat? Infinity or other?

IMO

• victorkl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for pointing out the evaporator issue!
    The contractor explained that they chose ADP because it was cheaper and offered Carrier model CNPHP instead.

• SaltiDawg
    11 years ago

"I quoted the numbers from my utility bills."

This is frequently the response (or very similar) when someone quotes a seemingly wrong number for utility costs.

I can not recall anyone not having made an misapplication of the fees listed on their bill.

It's funny that your gas rate is exactly the same and your electric bill differs by 50% in the link I provided.

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

What mdl thermostat do you have?

What size is your home?

Was a load calc for correct sizing on condenser performed?

IMO

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm