Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bullsgarden

Advice on new AC

bullsgarden
10 years ago

We just bought our new house and 2 months into it were looking at replacing the AC. It sounds worse than it is, since we expected to do this quickly after purchasing the home. Its not that we couldn't wrench away on the old 3.5 ton Goodman sitting outside, but were going to be here a long time and its 21 years old and now the fan won't kick on.

Our home is 2300 square feet , 21 years old and sits in the western suburbs of Chicago. Its a two-story and the home is pretty hot upstairs when the AC was working and running. The furnace was replaced in 2011 with a Bryant Evolution Model 355aav060100. I've been told this is a nice unit, but I will admit that I know nothing about any of this which is largely why I'm reaching out to you all for some help.

I've been quoted the following from 2 different contractors:

Contractor 1
1) American Standard M-4ttb3048d1000b 13 Seer, 4 ton unit installed for $2,700.
This is basically the only unit this contractor seems to sell. I've asked for a variable speed quote and they will get back to me tomorrow with that, but he wasn't sure he had any for sale, which is odd.

Contractor 2
2) Bryant Evolution, 17 seer, 4 ton, variable speed and Bryant thermostat for $6,400
This unit supposedly matches the furnace for some kind of synergy. The thermostat was mandatory. I had sticker shock to say the least.

3) Payne PA13NA042 14.5 seer, 3.5 ton single speed for $2,700

4) Payne PA17NA048 17 seer, 4 ton, variable for $4,600

I'm leaning towards #4, but don't know if I'm making a wise decision. I'd like to get a variable speed AC and something to maximize the Bryant furnace, but I don't know enough to feel comfortable with my decision.

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

This post was edited by bullsgarden on Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 0:07

Comments (17)

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

You have a top of line furnace. What thermostat do you have? It should be the Evolution controller to take advantage of and have full functionality.

I recommend you stay with the Bryant brand especially since you say your intentions are to be in home many years.

As a compromise to the Bryant quote, ask for price on Bryant's 127a two stage Preferred AC condenser. You want the best matching Bryant ALA evap coil., no third party coil is acceptable.

Of course, ductwork size should be examined and verified that it can handle the extra CFMs for the larger condenser. New refrigerant lineset to be included? Insist on it.

Just to be clear, when you refer to a var speed model, I assume you really mean a two stage condenser.

IMO

• bullsgarden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

tigerdunes,

Thank you for the reply.

We have an old thermostat. Its generic and I was thinking of replacing it with a Nest until our issue with the AC came about. Then I did some research and found out about the Evolution controller.

Can you give me a little more information on why its imperative to have everything matched? I know this sounds like a basic question, but believe me, I need basic information since this is like another world to me.

I will ask about the ductwork and yes, new lines are included. They will not flush the lines out.

Last question, how much energy efficiency am I really going to see by spending the extra money on the Bryant? I know this largely has to do with the efficiency of ducts and the homes insulation, but is there an average kwh savings or a calculator I can use to do some back of the envelope math? $6400 seems like a lot of money for an AC and I need to justify the cost with myself and the decision maker in the house (my wife).

• bullsgarden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just got off the phone with contractor #2 and the coil for the Payne unit is CNTV. He's pretty convinced that the Payne unit will perform as well as the Bryant and will save us money. FYI, he's a friend of our families so I think he has our best interest in mind.

• mike_home
    10 years ago

You have a very nice Bryant Evolution furnace so you first priority would be to match it with the correct Bryant condenser with an Evolution controller. It would be a shame in my opinion to install a Payne condenser with a third party coil and a Nest thermostat. Payne equipment is designed to an inexpensive option for builder installations. The Nest thermostat is unlikely to optimally control the Bryant furnace.

The quote of $6400 for the Bryant condenser and controller is absurd. Do you know which model was quoted? There are three Bryant Evolution models (180B, 187B, and 186B). The 180B is the top of line 2-stage which can achieve a 20 SEER rating. I suspect this is the model you were quoted. It is overkill for the Chicago suburbs. The 187B is also a 2-stage condenser but the best performance is 17 SEER. This would be fine for your location especially if you suffer humid summers. The 180B is a single stage condenser with a 16 SEER rating. Also very good if you want to save some money. There are other lower priced Bryant condensers that could be matched with your furnace. I am disappointed the Bryant dealer did not spend a few minutes reviewing the various model options. A good contractor should do this as part of the quote process.

The Evolution controller has built in software algorithms that will optimally control the furnace and condenser for best efficiency and comfort. It has a lot of nice features you will not find on the Nest thermostat.

FYI Bryant and Carrier or the same equipment. It is possible to buy the Carrier model equivalent in case you can't find a good Bryant dealer.

• bullsgarden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the response mike_home.

The Bryant AC is the 187B. I don't know how much the thermostat runs, but would that be something I may be able to add at a later date and install myself?

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Have to agree with everything Mike said. Big mistake on the Evolution controller, big mistake not getting a Bryant AC condenser with matching coil.

IMO

• mike_home
    10 years ago

I gave you some misinformation. The 180B is the top of the line 20 SEER model but is only available in a 3 ton size. The 187B are 17 SEER 2-stage models, and the 186B is the single stage 16 SEER model. Sorry for the mistake but the Bryant web site is very confusing.

The Evolution Controller is not meant to be for a DIY installation. It uses a unique Carrier/Bryant 4 wire bus control. I recommend you it installed by a Bryant dealer.

Contact additional Bryant dealers for quotes. You should be able to do a lot better than $6400. I would better off buying a Bryant Perferred series condenser instead of the Payne equipment. I also don't see why you need a 4 ton condenser for a 2300 sq. ft house near Chicago. Find a contractor who will do a load calculation and look into the problems with cooling the second floor. A good contractor will evaluate the duct work as part of the quote.

• bullsgarden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again for the follow up.

I'll ask for more information on why a 4 ton is being recommended. I definitely need another quote on Bryant equipment. I'll order that up immediately.

• udarrell
    10 years ago

You definitely need a load-calc performed separately on each floor. It seems to overestimate the loads.

Has there been a problem getting enough airflow to the 2nd floor areas?

Do a load-calc & use the calculator to get the CFM to figure the LATENT infiltration load.

When U get it Right; print it; U can't save it. Post results here...

Here is a link that might be useful: Free online Whole House Load-Calc

• bullsgarden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just got another quote that I think seems very fair and from all of your help the best yet.

Bryant 187, with Revolution controller for $5750. Its a little more than I want to spend, but overall I think its the right decision.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

What model evap coil? Makes a difference. Should have the ALA suffix. As mentioned in previous post, you could save some bucks on the two stage Bryant Preferred AC condenser, Mdl 127A, certainly an acceptable substitute over the Evolution model. Anyway, you are making a wise decision.

IMO

• bullsgarden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry, I meant to post the coil. Its a CNPVP4821ATA coil.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

You want the latest model, CNPVP4821ALA, not ATA. Don't accept any up charge. I will check the size tomorrow and see if that is the best configuration as far as performance/efficiency numbers.

IMO

• bullsgarden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just wanted to close the loop on this thread. Everything got installed today. 187 and ALA coil with Bryant thermostat. The house is officially cooling down as I type this. Glad this is over. :)

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Glad you decided to go with Bryant and the Evolution controller.

You have a first rate matching system.

You should be reaping the benefits during this hot spell.

Big sucker isn't it?...But so quiet.

Enjoy!

Good Luck!
    IMO

• bullsgarden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's a quiet giant. Thanks for all the help everyone!

• Rog
    8 years ago

resurrecting an old thread, bullsgarden, how is life with the 187b for the last 2 years?